How To Retrieve the data from my external hard drive when the external port is d

xxalien

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hi Tom,

The external port for my USB external drive has broken off so it is virtually impossible to retrieve my data through the normal means. Is there a method through internet technology to retrieve my data?

Contact information:

DANIEL LAZARE

E-MAIL: daniel_lazare@yahoo.com

Welcome to the forums.
You can remove the HDD from it's enclosure and plug it in a docking station or an adapter. They come with different connectors, according to the type of HDD you have (sata, ide, pata).
Make sure you get the right adapter for the drive. I don't use enclosures anymore, I prefer docking stations for my sata drives. That way, I can just unplug and plug them in as needed.

BTW, posting your personal email is not a good idea, if someone needs to contact you on the forums they can just PM you.

Good luck with the project.

xxalien

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

Well, where I am located right now, it is virtually impossible to avail myself to that kind of hardware (docking station), or an adaptor. By the way, I should have said that it was my HDD (1TB) external hard drive, the standard kind one would find at AAFES.

If the HDD can not be connected to any device by any means, the data can not be retrieved unless the HDD is physically removed from the enclosure and accessed via it's native interface.
If this is a NAS-type HDD as well, you could try to access it via it's networking interface (Ethernet or wireless, whatever it has).
AFAIK, there has to be a way to establish a connection in order to access the data. Even without specialized tools, I would crack open the enclosure at this point (since the only access port is broken, no reason to save it) and I would remove the HDD from it. That would be my first step. After that, I would try to connect the HDD to a PC, even if it means accessing it as an internal HDD (open a PC case, attach the HDD inside to the mobo like a second HDD and access it from there).