How to revert back to XP from Win 7

howieleem

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
I am running Windows 7, and i want to revert back to XP. If i put the XP dvd in, the option to install XP is not available. Is there a way round this?

howieleem

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
If i run the XP disc from within Win 7 i get all the options except install XP. If i boot from CD with the XP disc, it says Press any key to boot from CD, but then it goes into a repair program for Win 7, and when this has finished, it opens Win 7.

I can see you don't do this very often (as in never). You boot FROM the cd. You don't load the cd from within windows. Thats only needed for an upgrade install using Windows NT 6.X (vista/7). XP will even upgrade from the booted cd.

You need to Press keys when prompted in order for it to boot. Otherwise it bypasses the cd. If that doesn't work, its also possible that this XP disk of yours isn't bootable for some reason. Where did you get it/how did you make it?

howieleem

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
The XP disc is an official Microsoft XP Pro disc. It is a bootable disc because 2 months ago i loaded it onto a new hard drive by booting from CD, and then upgraded to Win 7 from a file on an external drive.

howieleem

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
I only have Win 7 as a file on an external drive. So to reload Win 7 i need to load on XP from DVD, then Upgrade back to Win 7.

The Win 7 OS is virtually unuseable and slow, so a fresh start is always the best option in these cases.

I notice that the XP disc is only for distribution with a new PC, so maybe it is not possible to Boot from CD if Windows is already loaded. It maybe only boots with a new hard drive.

It most certainly will boot from the cd. The OS loaded has nothing to do with the boot from CD process. Something is wrong with the disk, the computer, or your execution.

The only distribute with new PC message just indicates its an OEM copy.

howieleem

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Cheers dokk2, on your suggestion i downloaded a free HDD low level format program. Not sure what it did because it apparantley formatted the drive with Win 7 still running. Anyway, after doing it, the XP disc would actually boot on startup and is loading ok.

The reason it booted from the disc after you zeroed out the hard drive is because there was no boot record on the hard drive. Since it couldn't boot from the hard drive, it checked the next device on the list, the optical drive. Finding a boot record there, it booted. You could have still booted from the optical drive by putting it first in the boot order in CMOS or by selecting it from a boot menu accessed by pressing F8, F10, F11 or F12 (depending on your computer or motherboard manufacturer) at the POST screen and selecting your optical drive as the boot device. There is NOTHING on the hard drive that would have prevented you from booting from the optical drive.