How to run 2 OS's simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tairaa

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Don't know where to post this, none of the categories available really fit.

Anyways, my question is simple: Can I make my machine run both windows 7 and Ubuntu simultaneously from different displays simultaneously? I've heard that you can have one machine power multiple workstations, but is that necessarily the same OS?

Before you comment, I'm aware of virtualisation software, and I'm aware of dual booting. I do both of these things are present, I just want to know if there's an easier way.

Thanks in advance. :D

PS. Failing that can I run a virtualisation of my existing Ubuntu install to utilize it's HDD instead of making a virtual HDD within my Win 7 HDD?

Solution

Sure you can. Just install a VM (VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.) and you can install and run as many OS's simultaneously as your system can handle. On a Linux host I regularly have XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, & OS/2 all running at the same time. If you have multiple screens you can have a different VM window on each one. This is the only way to run multiple OS's...

RPT3CH_US3R

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Its not possible to run 2 os at the same time since pcs only have 1 processor
But.. You can Install OS On other HDDrive too..

If you want to run 2 OS at the SAME TIME, You need 2 PCs..
Although you can install the OS On your 2nd HDD, so you can just change OS everytime you need it

On startup Your PC asks you to select an OS to use.. (after you installed Ubuntu on anothr HDD)

Sure you can. Just install a VM (VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.) and you can install and run as many OS's simultaneously as your system can handle. On a Linux host I regularly have XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, & OS/2 all running at the same time. If you have multiple screens you can have a different VM window on each one. This is the only way to run multiple OS's simultaneously on a single machine.

Solution

RPT3CH_US3R

Reputable
May 21, 2015

Woahh.. never heard of that

Knettek

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
Short answer, yes

Slightly longer answer, Arch Linux w GPU pass through and lots of work. Not for the feint of heart.

Google GPU pass through. Tek Syndicate. Good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.