Question How to Run 3200mHz DDR4 at 2400mHz?

Tomytoby

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Hi,

I have 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX, but one is a 2400mHz model while the other is a 3200mHz model, so I'm trying to get them both to run at 2400mHz, which I believe is the fastest way to run them together (please correct me if I'm wrong). However, there are no profiles for 1200mHz for the 3200mHz stick when I go into bios, and there is only a 3200mHz XMP profile and then it drops to 2133. I'm not very experienced with these settings, but would I just set it to 3200mHz and set the other stick to 2400mHz in the xmp?
View: https://imgur.com/a/DA15jjE

These images show that my 3200mHz stick is only running at 1066mHz, while my 2400mHz stick is running at the correct speed of 1200mHz. Help is appreciated, thank you!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you don't run the faster stick at 1200Mhz, because that will run it at exactly 1200Mhz.
what you see in CPU-Z is half of it's speed, because DDR stands for Double Data Rate.

And yes, you won't see XMP for it.

You will have to manually set the speed, timings, and voltage of both sticks.

Also, 3200Mhz isn't the speed the stick runs at natively, that is just what it's capable of doing. By default, RAM will run at 2133MHz and enabling an XMP profile just auto sets it to run at it's rated speed, timings, and voltage.

But be careful, you may not have an easy time with this if both sticks run at completely different timings, and if they definitely run at different voltages then you can start to get even more of a headache trying to make things work.

Check the stickers on the sticks themselves to see what their timings and voltage settings are.