How to run older PC games (00, 90's)

paul1960003

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Hello and thanks for existing. I want to keep my older computer games that do not run in compatibility mode for windows 7 or 10. (do not know about 8 as never had it.)

Specific question is : will older games such as Tiger Woods Golf 2008 play on Linux or any other non windows software ?. There are so few PC games now we need to keep the old games working as no new current exist.

Lastly, is dual booting an option and if so, which op systems?
Thanks

Mar 23, 2018

I would like to remind everyone that since KB3086255 in September 2015, no Win Vista or newer system will run SafeDisc or SecuROM DRM protected games.

These are mostly from 2003-2008 but if you're going to boot to XP to play those anyway, then many games from earlier than that are just a lot easier to get running in real XP because they often default to writing savegame and .ini files to system folders such as Program Files. If you try to install them in later Windows I suggest installing those to the /Users/Public folder to avoid most permissions issues, though they may still require tinkering and googling.

My retrogaming system is actually setup to play much older games in DOS or 9x and for 1996+ in 3Dfx Glide like the way they were meant to be seen.