[SOLVED] How to run/restore programs from secondary hard drive?

Jun 8, 2021
Hey there,
My computer recently got fixed since it's HDD had something corrupted in it, so they've given me a new SSD which windows boots from, and they left the 'secondary' hard drive in there so I can access my files still.
I am still able to find my games on it, however when I launch them (eg OBS) they have no configuration.
I would like to know if it's possible to link the config files with the programs, and maybe even make the entire computer seem like my 'old' one.

Help is much appreciated!
Euan

Jun 8, 2021
I would reinstall the programs on the SSD.
I think any way that you try and link them is going to add confusion and down the road has the potential to cause you grief.
Thanks, but there's a problem if I do that; The SSD is only intended to launch Windows, hence it has a very small storage space. The tech repair company said that if I want to use/install any programs, I would have to do so on the secondary HDD...

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks!
You're welcome.
Just a suggestion...I would get any data files I had off the HDD (put them somewhere else for now) and blow everything off the HDD and make it one big partition.
Then I would install the programs...and when you go to install them....specify the HDD as the destination.
This way they will all be linked to Windows and their files will be in the right place and Windows will know where to look.

Jun 8, 2021
You're welcome.
Just a suggestion...I would get any data files I had off the HDD (put them somewhere else for now) and blow everything off the HDD and make it one big partition.
Then I would install the programs...and when you go to install them....specify the HDD as the destination.
This way they will all be linked to Windows and their files will be in the right place and Windows will know where to look.
Ok, I deleted all the 'Program Files' folder contents

Jun 8, 2021
512GB is NOT "very small", or "only windows".
That's the size of my current C drive, 500GB Samsung 850.

You can and should install all your applications on it. even a large game or two.
Everything else, on the HDD.
Just don't go over 400GB actual consumed space on the SSD, and all is well.
Ok, turns out it's actually 223gb. I'll still install a couple of applications on it, but do I need folders like AppData and Program Files etc on the hdd?
Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, turns out it's actually 223gb. I'll still install a couple of applications on it, but do I need folders like AppData and Program Files etc on the hdd?
Thanks
You need to wipe that HDD clean.
AppData and ProgramFiles are holdovers from the previous OS. Irrelevant now.

You can install probably ALL your applications on the SSD, with the exception of games.

Other stuff, like videos, etc...store them on the HDD also.

Jun 8, 2021
You don't need them on the HDD because those are for your OLD apps.
As I said before....wipe the whole HDD.
If you see these folders on the SSD...leave them alone.
You need to wipe that HDD clean.
AppData and ProgramFiles are holdovers from the previous OS. Irrelevant now.

You can install probably ALL your applications on the SSD, with the exception of games.

Other stuff, like videos, etc...store them on the HDD also.
Ok thanks, ill do it now