News How to Run Steam Natively on Raspberry Pi

Cinerir

Honorable
May 21, 2014
I tried to install it on my Nvidia Jetson Nano, though I am pretty sure it won't be able to utilize the GPU.
It didn't even compile, because Box86 needs an 32bit subsystem, and the Nano only has 64bit.
Guess I will try it on my Pi 4, even though I guess the performance won't be that stellar, since I kinda lost the silicon lottery and mine isn't able to OC much without becoming unstable.

Dec 15, 2020
Followed these directions. See the following messages when starting Steam on Rpi4:

Unable to locate package libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
Unable to locate package libgl1:l386
Unable to locate package libc0:i386

Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries and Steam may not run: libc.so.6

Can we do better?

davidinark

Honorable
Apr 25, 2015
Would someone (Preferably the author of the article) from this site PLEASE address/answer this issue. When we follow your steps, it borks the entire BIN folder and we get kernel panics. Obviously something is amiss in the syntax of the TAR command. I tried playing with various paths following the -C, but so far I don't have a resolution.

Mar 10, 2021
Hi guys I want to update this here because this is the only guide on Google for people new to the Raspberry PI trying to install the Steam client.

sudo tar xvf data.tar.xz -C / This will break your Operating System (raspberry OS) because it is trying to use the root of your PI so to fix this, change it to sudo tar xvf data.tar.xz -C /home/pi/Steam (create a Steam folder there if this doesn't work) then use "sudo steam" to launch..

Use +open steam://open/minigameslist for mini mode (since it can crash on the normal window) and download this "sudo apt install libnm0" in order to use the "remember password" feature without steam crashing again..

Use "sudo apt install libtcmalloc-minimal4" if (and only if) you plan to play source games like halflife etc

Use "sudo apt install libappindicator1" if you crash AFTER sign in

Run steam in terminal by right clicking it in Steam/usr/bin will also work

I'm new to raspberry and linux in general and this was my first project to get steam up and running on ARM but the tutorial here is the only one available but it's misleading at the last command so I would appriciate it if this comment would stay (even tho necro) in order to help newer people with the Raspberry PI

Credit to r/pclark36 for figuring out it was the / root causing the whole operating system to crash

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif