Question How to save data from dying disk?

May 21, 2019
Hi ,
Yesterday my disk gave me a S.M.A.R.T error and the pc refused to boot until i disable the check. I have an SSD and another 2TB drive so 3 in total . Is there a tool or something so i can copy my data to the 2TB one because when i try to move files it starts then drops the speed and goes to 0Mb/s and stays on 100% usage and if i click something in that drive even right click it locks up my explorer.exe and crashes it eventually.

Lutfij

Titan
Which OS are you on? I've had a similar issue and it ended up being an OS corruption(alongside a failing HDD). You can try and access the drive and after the HDD processing light dies out, you can try and move your data gradually. Outside of that you can try and use TestDisk but your results can and will vary.

May 21, 2019
Which OS are you on? I've had a similar issue and it ended up being an OS corruption(alongside a failing HDD). You can try and access the drive and after the HDD processing light dies out, you can try and move your data gradually. Outside of that you can try and use TestDisk but your results can and will vary.
Windows 10. I moved some data and i think it has corrupted files because i have some that go to 50% fine and then just drop to 0 i crash it out and try again with the same result

If it's failing on certain files, sadly you need to move the files individually, Ignore the ones that keep failing. It's a long and ardious task.
To understand how bad your HDD is, you can always install Hard Disk Sentinel and it will let you know how soon it may die as well as telling you in English, what is wrong with it. As well as all the SMART stuff etc

Reactions: Ringanar1242
May 21, 2019
Well i guess its a goner i will see what i can save while i can and the rest is lost sadly.
HDD Sentinel
Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
There are 1633 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was decreased in different steps.
There are 445 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
More information: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_weak_sectors.php
Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 46788 times.

Reactions: ElectrO_90
Well i guess its a goner i will see what i can save while i can and the rest is lost sadly.
HDD Sentinel
Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
There are 1633 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was decreased in different steps.
There are 445 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
More information: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_weak_sectors.php
Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 46788 times.

It will also give you an Estimation of death time, but when that gets to 100 days or less you know it's inevitble.
This is why I recommend this software, because if you have it running, you can see when its going to die, and can do something before it dies. Once it's dead its generally too late.

I hope you can get the information you need, I also recommend you use something like a Cloud Backup for photos and things like that, stuff that you think isn't too sensitive for cloud storage. It all helps

Reactions: Ringanar1242
May 21, 2019
It will also give you an Estimation of death time, but when that gets to 100 days or less you know it's inevitble.
This is why I recommend this software, because if you have it running, you can see when its going to die, and can do something before it dies. Once it's dead its generally too late.

I hope you can get the information you need, I also recommend you use something like a Cloud Backup for photos and things like that, stuff that you think isn't too sensitive for cloud storage. It all helps
Really good software i used it a long time ago again on this drive because it was corrupting files and then i bought the ssd and used it for downloads worked fine till yesterday. This drive is a real soldier :D . Thanks for the info and i'll start transfering 1 by 1 i guess .

tony_parker

BANNED
Jan 15, 2019
There might be bad sectors in your drive or may be your complete drive got corrupted or failed. Drive failure can be happen due to the bad power supply, virus attack, damaged block, sectors and corrupted operating system. However, sometimes S.M.A.R.T error doesn’t mean that your drive has been corrupted. Sometimes it occurs because may be it detected any issue in your drive.

Before you go to any data recovery software or service provider I will suggest you to check out this blog & check the health of your drive. May be it will help you to resolve the issue by your own.