Question How to secure my email from spam?

Create a second email account, and use that when signing up for stuff. Configure the second email account to auto-forward to your real email account. That way you can check its emails without having to login to it.

If you use Gmail, you can modify it using the + sign. If your Gmail address is yourname@gmail.com, then yourname+site1@gmail.com will be automatically redirected to yourname@gmail.com. Same with yourname+site2@gmail.com, yourname+site3@gmail.com, etc.

If you start getting spam at yourname+site43@gmail.com, just drag them into your spam folder. Eventually gmail will learn that everything sent to yourname+site43@gmail.com is spam, and you'll stop getting it. (The second email account method has an advantage in that you can simply stop forwarding it and stop using it immediately. You don't have to wait for Gmail to learn.)

In my case, I own my own domain and my email goes through my own doman. So I create a new email alias (kinda like an auto-forwarder, but happens at the email server level) for every site I sign up for. So I have email aliases for microsoft@mydomain.com, tomshardware@mydomain.com, adobe@mydomain.com, etc. If I start getting spam, I know exactly which site sold my domain name out, and I simply have to delete the alias to stop it. (FWIW, Microsoft is the only major company which has sold out the email address I gave them.)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021
I also get a lot of spam, and it's so annoying. Luckily, there are a lot of ways you can fight it. Firstly, you should keep your domain private. I read about this on http://folderly.com/blog. You may not realize this, but when you registered your website's domain name (the www.YourName.com), if you didn't make it private, then your email address is a public record. Also, try using a honeypot. A honeypot is a hidden question on your online form that when it gets filled out, you know it was a spam bot that filled out the form.

Last edited: