Question how to see icon text no matter what background/wallpaper ?

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
HI

I have my background/wallpaper on random playlist. They are all kinds of color's. Allot of the time I can't see the icon's and/or there text. Any suggestion's ?

I might get lucky to find a color for the text. If there's a way to make the text change color ! A zebra text color pattern would rule.

Is there a way to make the icons have a glow ? If I highlight all the icons by dragging the mouse I can see them all the time.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
well, its surprising to me you can't set it to inverted, like you can with mouse cursors

This at least shows how to make text black - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...color-in/ea9d5d8f-3a91-4082-906c-2376324e4a6e

I don't use desktop icons, I set up a menu on taskbar that shows Desktop and have icons hidden.
Black or white dosnt work for me.. But I do love your sujestion with loading the task bare up with short cuts n hide. TY :)

EDIT: how did u get a menu on taskbar with the desktop icons ?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click taskbar
choose Toolbars
Desktop is already a choice so click it

it may not be what you are expecting, it just creates a toolbar called desktop

nAbsoSh.jpg

that creates a pop up menu with am image of what shows on desktop

dqZ2U4v.jpg

you can unlock taskbar and drag it across but it is possible it will only show the folders on taskbar, you need to click the little arrow to actually see icons

generally, the icons I use all the time live on my taskbar, I hardly ever look at the desktop toolbar

Last edited:

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
right click taskbar
choose Toolbars
Desktop is already a choice so click it

it may not be what you are expecting, it just creates a toolbar called desktop

nAbsoSh.jpg

that creates a pop up menu with am image of what shows on desktop

dqZ2U4v.jpg

you can unlock taskbar and drag it across but it is possible it will only show the folders on taskbar, you need to click the little arrow to actually see icons

generally, the icons I use all the time live on my taskbar, I hardly ever look at the desktop toolbar
Nice. Ill have to figer out how to organize it a bit. Some on there I never use. I do have to many to pin to taskbar. TY

Colif

Win 11 Master
downside to creating folders to store like things in (such as browsers) is that the applications can't see the shortcuts in there so never replace them, so you may end up with rubbish in folders, and have to add new applications each time they update.. I could put all the tools into a folder but then I never use desktop to begin with.

you could make a Hardly used folder, you can't really hide all the windows default ones - so top 8.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
downside to creating folders to store like things in (such as browsers) is that the applications can't see the shortcuts in there so never replace them, so you may end up with rubbish in folders, and have to add new applications each time they update.. I could put all the tools into a folder but then I never use desktop to begin with.

you could make a Hardly used folder, you can't really hide all the windows default ones - so top 8.
So you saying that wen you make a folder on desktop to store desktop short cuts in(like in my picture). I might have to add new applications shortcut's each time they update ?

Any idea on how I can hide/remove onedrive, user, libraries, control panel and recycling bin from desktop/the menu ?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you saying that wen you make a folder on desktop to store desktop short cuts in(like in my picture). I might have to add new applications shortcut's each time they update ?

Yes, as the installer only looks at the desktop when adding & removing shortcuts, not in folders unless that specific application created the folders. So I often had to delete old shortcuts if I remembered to do it

Any idea on how I can hide/remove onedrive, user, libraries, control panel and recycling bin from desktop/the menu ?

those were the choices I did say I wasn't sure you could hide.

it is funny it still links to control panel, wonder how long before its replaced by a link to settings instead - control panel being replaced by it.

You can hide the recycle bin in settings/personalisation/themes
click Desktop Icon Settings under Related Settings

I was hoping it would have more. The only way to stop showing onedrive i think is to stop using it.

I can't see a way to hide the rest. Pretty sure they always been in the menu, I have used the desktop toolbar thing on last few versions of windows.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
I tried using it for a few days.
I'm surprised windows decided to drop the priority of the desktop customizing. I use one of my monitors in non landscape(vertical) and I can't get background to random playlist for the correct resolution on each monitor. I wish windows allowed me to set different playlist per a monitor. It would also be nice if I could have taskbar expand across selected monitors. I might have to get into Linux.

I guess I can use one monitor just for desktop shortcuts, note's and hardware monitoring e.g. task manager. :(