Question How to send audio throughout my new apartment ?

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
We're moving into a new place in a month and my wife and I have noticed that because of the layout, our stereo where we listen to mostly CDs, records, and a large collection of music on HDD will be down a long hall from the kitchen/dining area where we're likely to spend enough time to want to be able to hear music there as well. Without running speaker wire down this long hall, is there some way to have wireless speakers that essentially just play whatever the stereo system in the living room is going to be playing at any moment whether it's records, CDs, the hard drive music, etc? I don't need fancy bells and whistles. I just want it to be exactly like these speakers are simply also connected to the stereo down the hall.

kanewolf

Titan
We're moving into a new place in a month and my wife and I have noticed that because of the layout, our stereo where we listen to mostly CDs, records, and a large collection of music on HDD will be down a long hall from the kitchen/dining area where we're likely to spend enough time to want to be able to hear music there as well. Without running speaker wire down this long hall, is there some way to have wireless speakers that essentially just play whatever the stereo system in the living room is going to be playing at any moment whether it's records, CDs, the hard drive music, etc? I don't need fancy bells and whistles. I just want it to be exactly like these speakers are simply also connected to the stereo down the hall.
WIFI is the most common approach. The Sonos speaker system -- https://www.sonos.com/en-us/products/wireless-speakers

USAFRet

Titan
GK0DSKN.png

(just kidding)

But, agree with the above....WiFi.

Reactions: Corwin65

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I suggest you google "WIFI whole house audio" There are multiple comparison websites. Sonos is the dominant brand.
Thanks. Looks like Sonos is the most popular and used most by people who use a lot of streaming services. But it also appears that other ones have better audio and that Sonos doesn't do 24-bit audio which I have a few of but not enough to make the purchase all about that.
Only thing is that I don't see anything in other devices where you can just have a hub like with Sonos that you output to from your receiver to then WiFi the audio to other speakers.