[SOLVED] How to separate networks

Aug 1, 2019
I work from home. I don't connect to any routers, etc at a different location. I also have a home network. Currently, I pay for 2 ISPs and it's gotten too expensive. I need to find a way to keep my work computer separate from my home network. How can I. do this?
I am NOT a very technical person, so please be very specific. Thank you.

Solution
When you say separate which do you need to protect more.

Say your run modem---router1--home network---router 2-----work network. machines on the home network could not get to work network because of the nat but work network machines could get to home. You can reverse this if it is better.

If you want no access vlans are best but complex for a non technical person to setup.

The other brute force method is to use 3 routers. modem---router1----router2& router 3. You would hook router2 and router 3 wan port to router1 lan ports. You would hook your work network behind say router 2 and your home network behind router 3. No traffic can pass between the networks because of the nat in both routers. You need to be...
Considering your last statement I would highly advise to seek professional support. What you are askin is possible, you would have to VLAN your network so that you have two networks essentially and can make it so they cannot talk to each other. However it would require a much better firewall than most consumer firewalls and some more in depth know how to do so.

Aug 1, 2019
The problem is, I cannot find any local IT companies that are reputable. I called a couple and, either they weren't interested because the job wasn't big enough, or they didn't know what they were doing.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
What are the two modem-router makes and models you have from the respective ISPs.

I haven't seen a modem router in some years that doesn't allow you to create two or more entirely separate (other than them being managed by the same modem-router) networks for years now. My old Verizon supplied D-Link and Actiontec routers would do this.

There are scads of tutorials out there for establishing separate subnets on a wireless access point. That being said, they are not for the technically averse. I haven't done it in several years now and would have to be very careful about following those instructions were I to do so again. You would be better off seeking out a local technician and asking if they have experience in setting up subnets and, if so, how much.

When you say separate which do you need to protect more.

Say your run modem---router1--home network---router 2-----work network. machines on the home network could not get to work network because of the nat but work network machines could get to home. You can reverse this if it is better.

If you want no access vlans are best but complex for a non technical person to setup.

The other brute force method is to use 3 routers. modem---router1----router2& router 3. You would hook router2 and router 3 wan port to router1 lan ports. You would hook your work network behind say router 2 and your home network behind router 3. No traffic can pass between the networks because of the nat in both routers. You need to be sure you disable wifi on router 1.

Solution
Aug 1, 2019
I want to eliminate on of my service providers because I have internet services with both Verizon and Comcast. I also want security when I do eliminate one of them. I have to have my work and. home computers isolated but paying for 2 different services has. gotten too expensive.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Again, the simplest solution, since this whole setup is in your home, where I presume only you and your loved ones have any physical access (at least on a routine basis) to all of the physical equipment is simply subnetting - having the single modem-router you choose to keep from the service you keep run two separate networks, which they can do - should be more than enough to meet your needs.

I am presuming here that your main concern is that no accidents can happen with networked access from home devices and your work devices that reside at home. Having each of these classes of devices on its own respective subnet should be way more than adequate.

If you're looking for significantly tighter security, then it's important to define what it is, precisely, that you are seeking.