[SOLVED] how to set back panel jack as headphones ?

M Uzair Arshad

Reputable
Jan 3, 2020
I want to use my back panel motherboard jack to plugin my headset. But I want it to be displayed as Headphones not as Speaker because for headphones there are some good enhancements such as bass boost. I don't want to plugin my headset in front panel(which is labeled as Headphones) because in front panel there is a sharp noise when I select Listen to this device for front panel mic. This noise doesn't come from back panel mic. So Please tell me how can I use my back panel ports as Headphones or how to get rid of that disturbing noise.

Solution
Your front panel audio connector is wired incorrectly on that motherboard. The sharp noise you get is from the ground being connected to your system's ground (not isolated). Could be the manufacturer who wired them wrongly on the motherboard, or the system builder plugged the wrong pin onto the Front Panel Audio Header at the motherboard (usually happens when you have separate (old AC97) Front Audio connectors instead of a single block connectors (similar to front panel USB connectors) usually being used on new HD Audio Connectors (also depends on your case).

Depending on the sound chip being used on that motherboard, you may have the option of re-routing/choose which audio jack being used to what purpose (remapping) from its Audio...
Sep 12, 2021
Your front panel audio connector is wired incorrectly on that motherboard. The sharp noise you get is from the ground being connected to your system's ground (not isolated). Could be the manufacturer who wired them wrongly on the motherboard, or the system builder plugged the wrong pin onto the Front Panel Audio Header at the motherboard (usually happens when you have separate (old AC97) Front Audio connectors instead of a single block connectors (similar to front panel USB connectors) usually being used on new HD Audio Connectors (also depends on your case).

Depending on the sound chip being used on that motherboard, you may have the option of re-routing/choose which audio jack being used to what purpose (remapping) from its Audio Control Panel (example: Realtek Audio Manager for Realtek based sound chip). You may have to use old driver version to have that feature brought back if you're using Windows 10 though (and probably will have to remove current (new) hardware driver first). Only older version of the driver can do that (remap connectors), newer ones especially the generic HD Audio from Microsoft won't give you that feature, and its also only available from the Manufacturer's Sound Control Panel (i.e: Realtek HD Audio Manager, not from the Sound Settings on Windows' Control Panel).

As a side note:
In my (old) motherboard (Gigabyte FX990A, used to be its flagship/premium model), I can choose which audio jack to be used as whatever I want: Front Speaker as Headphone, Center/Sub as Front, Rear as Line In, Line Out as Mic In, whatever. Also had the option of making front panel audio stream different audio than from the back (so if the front panel is being connected to a headphone, my gf can use it to listen to a music playlist on youtube with her headphone, while I'm watching Netflix and listening to it on my pc speakers, both connected to the same PC). I can even have each jack streamed different audio outputs: Windows Media Player only send sound to Rear Speaker jack on back panel (which I connect to an amplifier and some speakers), digital audio to my receiver (and my Dolby home theatre set), games and windows system sound to Front Speaker jack connected to my powered PC speakers beside the monitor (and also to HDMI audio, since I'm using LED TV as computer monitor from my GPU and it also can receive audio through HDMI), and front panel to the headphones. I don't even need anything special to do that (no additional softwares like AudioLoop, VirtualMixer, etc), only select current running App from Windows 10 Settings > System Settings > Sounds > Advanced sound options > click the "App volume and device preferences" and adjust them accordingly (pick the app, choose which device you would like the sound being be sent to).

If you don't want to be troubled much with custom driver/older driver etc, try VB-Audio Virtual Apps . I never used it before so I can't say much about it, but some of my sound engineer friends used it on their system. Technically it provides the same feature as what my old Realtek HD Audio Manager gives, with lots of other features too (you can literally remap and choose/configure everything from inputs to outputs, even create virtual ones (for recording/streaming purposes, for example)).

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

M Uzair Arshad

Reputable
Jan 3, 2020

Depending on the sound chip being used on that motherboard, you may have the option of re-routing/choose which audio jack being used to what purpose (remapping) from its Audio Control Panel (example: Realtek Audio Manager for Realtek based sound chip). You may have to use old driver version to have that feature brought back if you're using Windows 10 though (and probably will have to remove current (new) hardware driver first). Only older version of the driver can do that (remap connectors), newer ones especially the generic HD Audio from Microsoft won't give you that feature, and its also only available from the Manufacturer's Sound Control Panel (i.e: Realtek HD Audio Manager, not from the Sound Settings on Windows' Control Panel).

As a side note:
In my (old) motherboard (Gigabyte FX990A, used to be its flagship/premium model), I can choose which audio jack to be used as whatever I want: Front Speaker as Headphone, Center/Sub as Front, Rear as Line In, Line Out as Mic In, whatever. Also had the option of making front panel audio stream different audio than from the back (so if the front panel is being connected to a headphone, my gf can use it to listen to a music playlist on youtube with her headphone, while I'm watching Netflix and listening to it on my pc speakers, both connected to the same PC). I can even have each jack streamed different audio outputs: Windows Media Player only send sound to Rear Speaker jack on back panel (which I connect to an amplifier and some speakers), digital audio to my receiver (and my Dolby home theatre set), games and windows system sound to Front Speaker jack connected to my powered PC speakers beside the monitor (and also to HDMI audio, since I'm using LED TV as computer monitor from my GPU and it also can receive audio through HDMI), and front panel to the headphones. I don't even need anything special to do that (no additional softwares like AudioLoop, VirtualMixer, etc), only select current running App from Windows 10 Settings > System Settings > Sounds > Advanced sound options > click the "App volume and device preferences" and adjust them accordingly (pick the app, choose which device you would like the sound being be sent to).

If you don't want to be troubled much with custom driver/older driver etc, try VB-Audio Virtual Apps . I never used it before so I can't say much about it, but some of my sound engineer friends used it on their system. Technically it provides the same feature as what my old Realtek HD Audio Manager gives, with lots of other features too (you can literally remap and choose/configure everything from inputs to outputs, even create virtual ones (for recording/streaming purposes, for example)).
ok so my pc is custom built and audio cable is HD Audio cable similar to USB one. I have read it somewhere that if audio cable is wired with psu cable it will cause that noise. Is that true ? because if it is true than this might be the problem and I can fix it by rerouting the cable.