How to set HDD as primary and install OS or a better way?

Andreas_35

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
So I have a 64gig SSD and a 500GB HDD. Right now, the SSD has been set as the primary drive and the OS has been installed on it. I do not like it all. The SSD is so annoyingly small that I am constantly having storage issues. Even though I make sure to keep all my libraries, downloads and other "unnecessary" files on the HDD.

I've tried cleaning up the SSD, removing old restore points and such, but it does not help at all. I constantly find myself having only 5 or less gigs room left. Sure, I can manage, but I don't like it when I have to constantly micro-manage my files and storage.

How do I set the HDD as the primary drive and install the OS on it? If that gets too complicated - how do I keep only the OS on the SSD and how do I move annoying stuff like save game default directories, all sorts of caches and other and Sims4 mod folders for example to the HDD?

Solution
If you're on Windows:
You can have the OS on the SSD. BAsed on your question, this seems like what you want to do if you can. Here are some tips:

1. Go to "System > Advanced System Settings > Performance > Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory > Uncheck "Automatically manage
paging file size for all drives" > Select your SSD and choose no paging file. Select your HDD and use "system managed size".

2. For the Sims mods, you should be able to move them and repoint the game to the new directory.

3. For downloads, you can usually tell your web browser where to download files or have it prompt you where to save every time.

4. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to change the main OS restore points to save on the other drive, but you can disable...

ebm9000

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
If you're on Windows:
You can have the OS on the SSD. BAsed on your question, this seems like what you want to do if you can. Here are some tips:

1. Go to "System > Advanced System Settings > Performance > Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory > Uncheck "Automatically manage
paging file size for all drives" > Select your SSD and choose no paging file. Select your HDD and use "system managed size".

2. For the Sims mods, you should be able to move them and repoint the game to the new directory.

3. For downloads, you can usually tell your web browser where to download files or have it prompt you where to save every time.

4. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to change the main OS restore points to save on the other drive, but you can disable them (all will be deleted though and you can't make new ones until you re-enble System Restore)

5. You can change your quick access folders as well to reflect any moved documents, music, etc.

6. You can run:
compact /compactos:always (in Windows 10, not sure about 8.1 or 7) to compact your system files. I usually get a 1.6 to 1 ratio (37.5% less space taken by system files)

If you're going to reinstall the OS, just choose the larger of the two drives in Windows Setup

Solution

TRENDING THREADS