Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
How can I set minimum and maximum cpu speed? Can I do it through ryzen master or do I need to do it in bios? I have been messing aorund with core performance boost and other such stuff. I want to be able to, hypothetically, set my cpu to never go below say, 3.0 Ghz, as it fluctuates constantly depending on the demand from apps and games, etc. Is there any way to set a min a max limit?
My rig is:
Ryzen 2700x 3.7Ghz cpu
H100i Corsair cooler
32 gb 3200Ghz corsair vengeance ram
512GB ssd
800w thermaltake psu
MSI B450 tomahawk motherboard

Solution
As far as I know there is no way of doing this, and for good reason. I don't see why you would want this. Fluctuating frequency based on demand makes sense. You don't want your CPU being 80C at idle because you forced it to go full boost clock all the time. That said if your 2700X is going below 3Ghz under load that means your thermals are so bad that if it did stay at above 3Ghz it could damage the chip. You don't want to set a minimum of 5Ghz because that would be unstable.
As far as I know there is no way of doing this, and for good reason. I don't see why you would want this. Fluctuating frequency based on demand makes sense. You don't want your CPU being 80C at idle because you forced it to go full boost clock all the time. That said if your 2700X is going below 3Ghz under load that means your thermals are so bad that if it did stay at above 3Ghz it could damage the chip. You don't want to set a minimum of 5Ghz because that would be unstable.

Solution

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I have never had my cpu get above around 37C. In any case, I wanted to get a smaller window of fluctuation, to have tighter control. Is there at least a way to set a limit, or restrict the cpu to ONLY it's stock clock speed?

I have never had my cpu get above around 37C. In any case, I wanted to get a smaller window of fluctuation, to have tighter control. Is there at least a way to set a limit, or restrict the cpu to ONLY it's stock clock speed?
First off, 37C sounds like an idle temp, not load. And second, why is the question here. Why do you need "tighter control"? Why do you want to restrict it to only the base clock? There's basically no good reason for doing this.

Reactions: Phaaze88

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
First off, 37C sounds like an idle temp, not load. And second, why is the question here. Why do you need "tighter control"? Why do you want to restrict it to only the base clock? There's basically no good reason for doing this.
First off,37C was at full load. I don't know why it's so good, it just is. Secondly, I want it for the sake of wanting it. Not that I have to explain myself. If you don't have meaningful contribution to the discussion other than to critique me, then screw off.

First off,37C was at full load. I don't know why it's so good, it just is. Secondly, I want it for the sake of wanting it. Not that I have to explain myself. If you don't have meaningful contribution to the discussion other than to critique me, then screw off.
Unnecessarily rude. There is no way to do this as far as I know.

Dynamic clock speed is good. If you set it to always be way too high, you may end up with unnecessarily high temps and instability. Too low, and it limits your performance.

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
You must have 1 bad ass cooler . I cannot come close to 37 c load temp. How are you able to do that . Is the 2700x a low powered cpu or something compare to a 9700k
Honestly I can't give any explaination as to why. It's just a corsair H100i you can get at best buy for 130$. It may be that I don't play extremely high demand games, but even the games I play, I play at max settings. Typical games I play include Company of Heroes 2, Starcraft 2, Skyrim, Europa Universalis 4. Even on those games at highest settings I have never seen it get over 37C. Right now it's sitting at 27.75C if you believe ryzen master.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Jan 3, 2020
Dam . I turn my pc on and it pops up to 48 c for a few sec then calms down and idles at 37 ish . When gaming I get to 60 but never higher with 240 aorus aio. But anyway bravo to you .

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
Dam . I turn my pc on and it pops up to 48 c for a few sec then calms down and idles at 37 ish . When gaming I get to 60 but never higher with 240 aorus aio. But anyway bravo to you .
lol thank you man. On my old rig I would commonly get up to 65-68C with a thermaltake water 3.0 AIO. I honestly have no clue why this thing works so good but I am glad it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS