How to set QoS of tp-link TD-W8951ND (Modem Router )

kingofring18

Commendable
Oct 6, 2018
Hello all, my only hope is this site i guess so, i dont think any other sites might help me even if its tp-link site ..

i will go straight to the point :

1st, this is my Qos page in gateway:

my questions are :

1- Destination mac or source mac one of them would be the mac of device to apply the qos right ? (which one?)
2- what about port ? i need to apply Qos for everything not in specific port (means all net bandwidth)
3- in application box i got these :
IGMP
sip
H.323
MGCP
SNMP
DNS
DHCP
RIP
RSTP
RTCP
RTP

what to choose for applying Qos for all bandwidth ?

summery, all I want is just applying QoS to (play Store android + whatsapp) if it cant be for all bandwidth

my internet plan is purchased for only browsing purpose, and some family member of mine download 24/7 while its slow like 1mbps and even my neighbor as well, so please dont tell me to change pass or block their mac cuz i can do that, but i wont they still ask for the new pass and still ask for unblocking and then i cant just say no ( iam just f**king tired of doing so)

i got selfishnet was perfect but since i heard its somehow a hack i just pulled back using it and i know u guys even not gonna help or support thats app too

Your router likely can not do the limitation you want it appears to be one of those that only limit upload rates and not download.

QoS is one of the most advanced topic there is in networking. From the question you ask it appears you do not understand some very basic things. It would take massive amounts of time to explain.

You can ignore almost all the setting on that screen most do nothing at all.

Your first challenge is finding a way to identify the traffic for the 2 applications you have stated. Maybe they use a fix block of ip. I doubt they use unique ports.

kingofring18

Commendable
Oct 6, 2018

i guess you did not understand my question well, I did not mean to limit to specific amount of speed (kbps) as this router doesn't support that but it does support to limit from low to highest without putting any speed limitation number, there is a pdf file for that router to how to limit !!!! but it failed cuz of port and it ask for specific application with port range, and other router does not ask it ask only mac of device nothing else !!! but this ask for port rang too

and FYI, i know well about routers and its setting , this is my first live router i have been had issue with , I dont no may be you refering that i put my question in not good tag, well this is my first post and i did not see any good tag i just published my question ...

and again FYI, play store is not that easy to block its ip only, it use range ip and simi-impossible to block it through ip blocking.... any way thank your for ur reply

It is unlikely you problem is overload of the upload bandwidth but if you think it is then the router can to a point limit.

You can ignore all the mac,port application stuff and just use IP addresses if that will work. Anything left blank is ignored.

99% of the screen is pure garbage. Anything related to packet marketing is stupid to put on a consumer router that is connected to the internet. All tags are removed by all ISP even if you set them. Router manufacture I think put this garbage in to make people think there router is better because it has more..useless...options.

If you can somehow come up with a list of ip addresses you can limit it.

Still almost everyone overload their download bandwidth not the upload bandwidth.

If you don't have a way to monitor the traffic it's difficult to set rules for that traffic.

If you are really interested in QoS you can have a lot of options if you run pfsense or ipfire on a basic consumer pc.
pfsense has CBQ shaper which can allow you to put the ip addresses of the local clients that are using the bandwidth in lower classes. CBQ services all classes to their minimum so connections don't get dropped. I would recommend staying away from PRIQ due to this.

ipfire has the all around best shaper called fq_codel which will service each flow equally and manage your buffer so that things like gaming stay at low latency. it only needs bandwidth inputs. no advanced config required, but it is available. $50 ERX router has this same shaper if you don't want to buy a pc for ipfire.

both pfsense and ipfire have iftop which can monitor realtime traffic. both can log graphs of the QoS classes. pfsense has ntopng which is a very detailed log of traffic.

Getting the traffic matched into the class is extremely difficult.
I use the CIDR ranges of every service I frequently use to match traffic.
You can find youtube, netflix, steam, blizzard, etc
It's not possible to get every download into it, most are port 80 or 443. it will spill into the default class.
a single flow can't take over a class though, which is why fq_codel+htb is so good. which is where the pfsense shapers fail.
steam is ridiculous. it opens like 8 connections on port 443. p2p is it's own protocol so it's easy to match.
it's important to get any multiflow services into the bulk class.

The best classes for home use in my opinion are:
Voice/Gaming: anything low bandwidth that needs to be serviced fast
Media: anything that won't swamp your bandwidth, but needs quite a bit of bandwidth in order to function.
Default: all others
Bulk: downloads, p2p, vpn, etc. anything that swamps your connection for a long time that is the least important to you.

gaming uses so little traffic that it's class is actually optional. it will function pretty well from the default class. something like facetime would need the tier1. all UDP and ICMP/ACK except VPN traffic in tier1 is a good start.