[SOLVED] How to set RAM clock in sync with Ryzen 5 Pro 3550G

• Thread starter Deleted member 431422
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 431422

I bought Ryzen 5 Pro 3550G recently. I know it's locked or how AMD defines it "no warranty when overclocked".

I have 2x 8GB GoodRAM 3600MHz sticks and set them to 2933MHz, but Cpu-Z shows it's working asynchronously. There's some MHz difference. The only XMP profile is 3600MHz. I don't need them to work this fast. I read it's best when IF and RAM work synchronously. I could do trial and error but the build is only few days old and I never oveclocked. I don't want to mess something up. How should I start?

Solution
It shows in CPU-Z. Here's a pic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ucf_0pdBhR-PzK5bFyfPW42wqBuaoQN9/view?usp=sharing

I bought the sticks with future CPU's in mind. The PC is for entertainment, casual gaming, nothing demanding. Why the CPU choice. I didn't see FSB clock in BIOS settings, but everything is new to me. The last PC I built was 15 years ago, so I'm a bit behind the time :)

I'd never seen that before. The DRAM clock speed shown is correct for 2933 memory.

'FSB' is really a misname as it's relevant to platforms of many years ago that had one. I'm not sure what it's talking about there but it could be that the memory bus speed is asynchronous from the DRAM rating. Which is 'duh, it's DDR4 so what else...
I bought Ryzen 5 Pro 3550G recently. I know it's locked or how AMD defines it "no warranty when overclocked".

I have 2x 8GB GoodRAM 3600MHz sticks and set them to 2933MHz, but Cpu-Z shows it's working asynchronously. There's some MHz difference. The only XMP profile is 3600MHz. I don't need them to work this fast. I read it's best when IF and RAM work synchronously. I could do trial and error but the build is only few days old and I never oveclocked. I don't want to mess something up. How should I start?
Guess.....your ram sticks are not a match and that's where the async is coming from.
Does windows show all the ram?
Does cpu-z show dual channel?
Run this and post a link.................. PC Benchmark

You have to de-sync infinity fabric in a BIOS setting. If it's an overclock- locked Ryzen Pro I kinda doubt it can be changed though.

Where does it show you IF is de-synced from the DDR4 bus in CPU-z? DDR4 memory operates at twice it's clock speed: so for 2933 memory your memory clock will be 1/2 that or 1467Mhz which will also be your IF clock speed if it's not de-sync'd.

D

Deleted member 431422

Guess.....your ram sticks are not a match and that's where the async is coming from.
Does windows show all the ram?
Does cpu-z show dual channel?
Run this and post a link.................. PC Benchmark

Here's the link:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40566277

You have to de-sync infinity fabric in a BIOS setting. If it's an overclock- locked Ryzen Pro I kinda doubt it can be changed though.

Where does it show you IF is de-synced from the DDR4 bus in CPU-z? DDR4 memory operates at twice it's clock speed: so for 2933 memory your memory clock will be 1/2 that or 1467Mhz which will also be your IF clock speed if it's not de-sync'd.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ucf_0pdBhR-PzK5bFyfPW42wqBuaoQN9/view?usp=sharing

I bought the sticks with future CPU's in mind. The PC is for entertainment, casual gaming, nothing demanding. Why the CPU choice. I didn't see FSB clock in BIOS settings, but everything is new to me. The last PC I built was 15 years ago, so I'm a bit behind the time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the link:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40566277

Everything in the benchmark looks fine.
I don't think I would worry about the async/sync.
Is there something that does not run proper?

I'd never seen that before. The DRAM clock speed shown is correct for 2933 memory.

'FSB' is really a misname as it's relevant to platforms of many years ago that had one. I'm not sure what it's talking about there but it could be that the memory bus speed is asynchronous from the DRAM rating. Which is 'duh, it's DDR4 so what else would it be?'.

I'd suggest use Ryzenmaster and look to see if 'coupled mode' is on (means IF is in sync with the memory bus). That works on non-Pro CPU's, maybe it would on Pro too.

Solution
D

Deleted member 431422

Ryzen Master doesn't show "Coupled Mode". I guess that what you get with Pro CPU.
Everything in the benchmark looks fine.
I don't think I would worry about the async/sync.
Is there something that does not run proper?
Everything is fine. The game I play is runing without any problems. It's a good idea not to mess with the settings then, I guess.

'FSB' is really a misname as it's relevant to platforms of many years ago that had one. I'm not sure what it's talking about there but it could be that the memory bus speed is asynchronous from the DRAM rating. Which is 'duh, it's DDR4 so what else would it be?'.

I'd suggest use Ryzenmaster and look to see if 'coupled mode' is on (means IF is in sync with the memory bus). That works on non-Pro CPU's, maybe it would on Pro too.

Ryzen Master only shows RAM clock. I can't check IF clock or if Coupled Mode is enabled. I guess the "locked" in Pro CPU's is not for show.
I won't be digging any further. "If it's not broken, don't fix it" - I'll go with that. Well, maybe set RAM clock to 3200 and see what the FPS are.

Thanks the both of you for help. Reading about hardware is one thing, owning it is different.