How to set SSD as primary hard drive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hello~
I just recently install a SSD to my system but I when I tried to format my harddrive it still said primary. Do I need to have my SSD as primary if I want to put my OS on it? In order to make the SSD primary do I do that in bios or was I suppose to put the cable I used my harddrive previously to make it primary?
*The M4 is the SSD in the picture
med_gallery_3171_214_1543116.jpg

med_gallery_3171_214_707682.jpg

Solution
Here is what you can do. Back up all the Data you want to another HDD. Unplug the HDD completely. This will leave only the SSD. Install the OS to the SSD. Then reformat your original HDD and put the data (not programs) back on it. The reason why the HDD is saying Primary is because it has a Primary Partition on it. It is not a Primary HDD it is the partition displaying itself. Does that make sense? If you have just the SSD in there it will do the same thing. It will have the "System" partition and the Primary Partition.

Ok if the HDD has not data on it delete the system partition and the primary partition on the HDD. This will leave it un allocated. When you install to the SSD it will then say System and Primary. If you want the HDD...

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Alright I will delete them and install it on my SSD. I will not unplug the HDD even though I should but I am too tired to open up my case again. Hopefully this will not cause a problem

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It wont cause a problem it will just likely mean you will see BOTH the SSD and the HDD present with System and Primary Partitions. This will not effect your system negatively as you do not have Partition Based encryption on either drive.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
As I said go to Disk Manager. Right Click on My Computer. Click Manage. Select Disk Management. It will likely ask if you want to initialize the HDD. IF not find the HDD and Initialize it. If it is Initialized already then right click on the HDD and format it. You should then see it in My Computer all set to go.

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Ah got it. Everything is pretty much back to normal. My computer is acting weird though. Like the time when I first build it it boots akwardly. (7 repeat boots unintill i am log into windows 7) Maybe my drivers for my motherboard was wipe as well?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
During Setup Win 7 can repeatedly boot as is it installed. If its requiring multiple boots after installation then that could be a hardware issue. That aside make sure you install Win 7 Service Pack 1 and all the updates off Windows Update. Make sure you have the latest drivers for everything in your system. If it is still acting up post the issue to a new thread to get a wide range of suggestions.