how to set up 2 routers in one home?

joshsalgado

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
So Im going to be building a gaming rig and putting it in a bedroom across the house, my question is will they interfere with eachother or is it no big deal? I dont want to put a wireless card in ao that is why Ill be getting another router. Modems are Motorola SB6121 and the modem I have in my living room is a netgear WNDR3700v.2 and I was wanting to get a netgear WNDR4300 for my room. will there be any issues? wifi wise? they will be about 30' apart. Thanks in advance!

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Are you saying that you want to use the 2nd router to receive the wireless signal and then connect the PC to the network by cabling it to the 2nd router?

That means the 2nd router needs to be set up as a wireless bridge. Just flash the WNDR3400 with DD-WRT and set it to bridge mode. Use the 3700 as the main router.

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Another option would to be purchase a cheap wifi extender. This essentially does what smitbret suggested, but is cheaper than purchasing a WNDR4300. The extender will connect to your existing wireless network, and allow you to connect a wired connection for your new gaming rig. Best of luck to you whichever route you decide - Sub

joshsalgado

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks guys I think what I will do as @USAFret suggested and put a 5 port Gb switch in living room for PS3 and XBOX and put the router in my room with a new moto sb6121. Thanks guys!

USAFRet

Titan

Wait...that might not work as you think. And not what what I said/meant.

The flow needs to be - Modem -> router -> switch -> devices.
The current main modem/router - is it a modem only, or modem + router? (How many ports are on the back?)

Everything else needs to depend off of that.

USAFRet

Titan

No.
1 modem, 1 router (with WiFi?)
To distribute a wifi signal elsewhere, an Access Point midway between the router and the device.

What is happening is this:
Modem - Router -------------------------------------------------------------------------------PC (weak signal)

What needs to happen is:
Modem - Router ---------------------------Access Point/Repeater-----------------------PC (better signal)

You can usually turn a second router into an access point, but that means turning off most of its functionality. Why pay for functions you can't use?

joshsalgado

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Yes router has wifi. My main reasoning for putting a router in my gaming room is for streaming and online gaming if I use a WAP I might aswell just install a wireless card, which i do not want to do.

USAFRet

Titan

Well....you need a signal in two widely separated rooms. PC here, XBox there. On one account.

3 choices.
1. Ethernet cable
2. WiFI
3. Powerline

But everything needs to depend off the main router (DHCP, etc) wherever that may be, either via a wire or wifi.

joshsalgado

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I appologize I dont think I was clear, sorry. In my living room I have cable going into my modem which is then connected to my router. in a seperate room I also have cable going into a modem and possibly a router. in essence it will be 2 seperate networks (I think) is there a problem with this setup? or will I run in to problems?

USAFRet

Titan

That will not work. Unless of course you've contracted with the ISP for two separate IP addresses. (Unlikely)

The ISP talks to one and only one modem. It has a public IP address. That then talks to a router. That router serves up multiple internal IP addresses. 192.168.1.xxx.

Two modems cannot talk to the ISP, unless you've specifically contracted for, and paid for, two IP addresses. No matter what the internal house wiring is.

USAFRet

Titan

If they can get a good signal from that distance, yes.

And if the house coax wiring is pretty much direct from the new room/modem location back to the main distro box on the side of the house. I've seen some where the other rooms read off multiple splitters. Which is not good for having the main router there.
The modem/router needs to be as close to the main distro box on the side of the house as possible.

It all depends.