[SOLVED] How to set up a private router ?

PCMA187

Honorable
Dec 9, 2015
Hey,

I want to end terms with my home network service provider and looking to buy a private router and set it up - which I have no idea how to do exactly.

I don't know how this goes in other regions, but here you pay for a package deal to have a network infrastructure and a service provider.
The provider rents you equipment (router) for which you need to pay each month along with the service of providing you with a connection, I figured that the router they provide is very basic and gives poor performance and I want to move on from that and also stop paying them "rent" for such poor equipment.

I'd be happy to hear from you which routers you suggest for optimal performance in gaming and also get some instructions about setting the whole thing up.

*Currently I'm not connected to an optic fiber infrastructure but it may be an option.

Thanks !

Solution
In general there is nothing really to setup.

The only thing you setup is the admin password for the router and the name and passwords for your wifi radios.

Pretty much everything else you leave run the default. The router is only doing 1 function in this case sharing the single IP you get from the ISP with your internal machines. Even very inexpensive routers can run full gigabit speed wan/lan on ethernet.

You would only need a fancy router if you wanted to do say parental controls or maybe VPN. Both put a lot of load on the CPU in the router. Do not get sucked into marketing. All those words like "gaming" and "mesh" etc are mostly marketing.

Key will be never play online games on wifi if you want a smooth...
The actual answer is you are going to have to go to your ISP and see which routers they allow/support. The problem is not so much the router it is you need a modem to covert the signal from the wire coming into your house to ethernet.

There are too many details to give you any specific recommendations.

The best recommendation on a router is not use wifi for games. There really is no "gaming" router even inexpensive routers can transfer 1gbit wan/lan when you use ethernet. If you have issue like you are over utilizing your bandwidth the best solution is to buy more bandwidth than to try to bandaid it with some form of gaming qos.

Note in many case when you use a fiber connection the ISP will require you to use their device.....again this depends since there are a number of forms of fiber connections.

PCMA187

Honorable
Dec 9, 2015
The actual answer is you are going to have to go to your ISP and see which routers they allow/support. The problem is not so much the router it is you need a modem to covert the signal from the wire coming into your house to ethernet.

There are too many details to give you any specific recommendations.

The best recommendation on a router is not use wifi for games. There really is no "gaming" router even inexpensive routers can transfer 1gbit wan/lan when you use ethernet. If you have issue like you are over utilizing your bandwidth the best solution is to buy more bandwidth than to try to bandaid it with some form of gaming qos.

Note in many case when you use a fiber connection the ISP will require you to use their device.....again this depends since there are a number of forms of fiber connections.

I have a list of routers that the ISP infrastructure supports, about the need for a modem - I'll have to check with them.

The question is how to set the thing up once I buy it.

Eventually, I'm looking for smooth web browsing and smooth online gameplay experience.

The only thing you setup is the admin password for the router and the name and passwords for your wifi radios.

Pretty much everything else you leave run the default. The router is only doing 1 function in this case sharing the single IP you get from the ISP with your internal machines. Even very inexpensive routers can run full gigabit speed wan/lan on ethernet.

You would only need a fancy router if you wanted to do say parental controls or maybe VPN. Both put a lot of load on the CPU in the router. Do not get sucked into marketing. All those words like "gaming" and "mesh" etc are mostly marketing.

Key will be never play online games on wifi if you want a smooth experience. The problem is all the interfering signals from your neighbors wifi and no router is going to eliminate those.

Solution

PCMA187

Honorable
Dec 9, 2015

Key will be never play online games on wifi if you want a smooth experience. The problem is all the interfering signals from your neighbors wifi and no router is going to eliminate those.

So eventually, when I get the router, I just plug it instead of the existing one and thats it ?
Nothing to change in Windows network settings ?

Not really any unique ISP setting if it is required would be in the modem not the router.

You likely will need to make some change to your end devices unless you use the same exact network name and password. I guess it depends on if you changed the SSID name on the current ISP router. You could make the new router match but it would be strange if say the old router was made by say dlink and the new router was asus and the ssid was using the brand of the router for part of the name.