How to set up a vpn as some kind of proxy?

RS82

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
My question is probably very sillily formulated, but i need more then one line to describe it better.

The idea is that i want to acces the video content of the Dutch television channels, but i am living abroad, they track the ip, see i am not in holland and dont show the content. There are some companies providing a vpn subscription in the Nethderlands for 15 Euro a month and that works perfect, just its a little expensive. Now my hope was to buy a seccond hand vpn router, that i want to put at my parents place in holland, and some how use it in the same way as the vpn service of the company. So using it to connect, and browsing trough this connection to get a Dutch ip.

Is this possible?
all what i read about vpn is just for local acces, and not for web acces.
If its possible, how should i set it up?

My parents have a modem&router from the internet provider, can i just put a vpn router behind this modem/router?

I understand that to describe the whole process is probably a bit much to ask. but An answere if its possible or not, and maybe some directions would help a lot to get the idea rolling.

Thanks in advance,

In some ways a proxy server is simpler but then you would need a small machine..a junk laptop would work. You may be able to get it to work with DD-WRT based router but I don't know if you can use the proxy from a external location or only the lan.

A VPN although complex to setup will work fine. Again since you do not already have a device I would buy a router that you can load DD-WRT on with openvpn. Not all routers that can run dd-wrt can run the large image that includes openvpn.

The key issue you will have with a VPN is getting it to pass the parents main router. This device is doing NAT. You have 2 common types of VPN. IPSEC and pptp. Both require special VPN features in the main router. This is because in addition to using UDP ports which you can port forward they also use special protocols. Many times this just works so people don't even know how complex this issue really is. If you have issues is why I recommend openvpn. in addition to IPSEC and PPTP it also supports SSL/TLS which looks HTTPS so it is a little more common support. Because SSLVPN is based on TCP it is a little slower for some applications than the other options that use UDP.

You could also replace the main router at your parents house...it sometimes makes VPN setup a little easier than putting it behind a nat router.

It is just a little confusing to think about these. Your PC when you connect via VPN IS on the remote lan with a new IP on that lan. It then can do whatever a PC on that lan is allowed including going back out the router it just can in on to get to the internet. This works because it is now using the LAN IP rather than the original IP used to setup the VPN tunnel

RS82

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Thank you for the reply, i didnt manage to spend much time on this little project yet.
I am still looking for some second hand routers that go with openvpn on ebay.