[SOLVED] How to Set Up H100i RGB in Push/Pull Configuration?

kawzman

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
I’m contemplating setting up my Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM CPU cooler in a push/pull configuration. The goal is better efficiency at lower fan RPMs for less fan noise. The H100i block only supports 2 fans via 2x 4-pin connectors. Would the system fully support 4 fans if I use a y-splitter to connect 2 fans to each 4-pin connector?

The power draw for the 2x stock Corsair ML120 PRO RGB fans is 0.219 Amps each. I was thinking of using 2x Corsair ML120 fans as the push fans (don’t need RGB on that side); their power draw is also 0.219 Amps each. Total fan power draw would be 0.876 Amps. I pulled those specs for the Corsair website, but please let me know if those numbers are wrong.

The unknown is the power draw for the H100i pump, it’s not listed on the Corsair website and I came up empty with Google. Anyone know? If the H100i can support those 4 fans, next I have to figure out if the SATA power cable can support the total cooling system’s power draw with an EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 PSU. I suspect the answer is yes. To confirm, the pump is not drawing power via the tach cable connected to the CPU_FAN header, it’s only sending pump speed info to the motherboard correct?

If the H100i can support the 4 fans, is there a recommended compatible y-splitter cable?

How would this setup work for the fan speed control with the 4 fans connected via y-splitters? Will the RPMs for all four fans be reported or would only 1 or 2 be reported and the value(s) controlling the RPMs for all 4 fans by the speed controller software?

My in-progress rig build can be viewed here...https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GmgG8M.

Thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks for the support!

Solution
I’m contemplating setting up my Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM CPU cooler in a push/pull configuration. The goal is better efficiency at lower fan RPMs for less fan noise. The H100i block only supports 2 fans via 2x 4-pin connectors. Would the system fully support 4 fans if I use a y-splitter to connect 2 fans to each 4-pin connector?

The power draw for the 2x stock Corsair ML120 PRO RGB fans is 0.219 Amps each. I was thinking of using 2x Corsair ML120 fans as the push fans (don’t need RGB on that side); their power draw is also 0.219 Amps each. Total fan power draw would be 0.876 Amps. I pulled those specs for the Corsair website, but please let me know if those numbers are wrong.

The unknown is the power draw for the H100i...

The unknown is the power draw for the H100i pump, it’s not listed on the Corsair website and I came up empty with Google. Anyone know? If the H100i can support those 4 fans, next I have to figure out if the SATA power cable can support the total cooling system’s power draw with an EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 PSU. I suspect the answer is yes. To confirm, the pump is not drawing power via the tach cable connected to the CPU_FAN header, it’s only sending pump speed info to the motherboard correct?

If the H100i can support the 4 fans, is there a recommended compatible y-splitter cable?

How would this setup work for the fan speed control with the 4 fans connected via y-splitters? Will the RPMs for all four fans be reported or would only 1 or 2 be reported and the value(s) controlling the RPMs for all 4 fans by the speed controller software?

My in-progress rig build can be viewed here...https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GmgG8M.

Thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks for the support!
I wouldn't bother with push-pull on that cooler, will not get much or any with it. If you have it installed and running touch radiator after running at full load and you'll see that it's barely warm, more air thru it will not help. Even air coolers gain only couple of %. Weak point on liquid coolers is cold plate and pump.

Solution