[SOLVED] How to set up hard drive for speed and efficiency

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
I just installed a PCIEx sata 6 expansion card along with a 4tb platter drive.
To get windows to use the entire drive I had to use a different kind of formatting.
It's all working but I wonder if I overlooked something cos data transfer seems a little slow. 157GB took over a 1/2 hour to copy.
So I'm wondering if there are options I should implement like RAID or MSU?
I have no idea what either of those are but they were mentioned in the card's user manual.
So: how do I set this drive up to be as zippy and responsive as possible? (I'd like to play games off it.)
I guess that's it.
Cheers and carry on.

Solution
Hmmm.
I was under the impression that SSD's were better for accessing lots of random bits of data throughout the drive but slower when read/writing large bits of consecutive data. They also don't have the same issues with chemical degradation like transistor drives and thus are good for long term storage.
Is this not true?
No.
SSDs are faster in ALL use modes vs a spinning HDD.
Sequential throughput, access time, seek time, I/O per second, etc, etc.

For "long term storage"...I certainly wouldn't 'write once and put it on the shelf for a decade'.
There have been cases and tests (in extreme conditions) where the SSD loses data after some time.

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
There is no "speeding up". It is what it is.

So there are no options for improving it's responsiveness? Ensuring that it is using the full 6gb sata connection (as opposed to 3gb) or implementing RAID or MSU?

Right now my data transfer rate is pitiful in a setup that should be blazing fast. And you're saying that that's it?
No offense: but I don't believe you.

USAFRet

Titan
So there are no options for improving it's responsiveness? Ensuring that it is using the full 6gb sata connection (as opposed to 3gb) or implementing RAID or MSU?

Right now my data transfer rate is pitiful in a setup that should be blazing fast. And you're saying that that's it?
No offense: but I don't believe you.
RAID has no correlation with a single physical drive. A RAID 0 (striped) would require 2x of those, and be somewhat faster than the single one you have now.

A spinning HDD cannot saturate a SATA III (6gbs) connection. It just barely fills up a SATA I (1.5gbs) throughput.
It is simply a function of how they operate.

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Hmmm.
I was under the impression that SSD's were better for accessing lots of random bits of data throughout the drive but slower when read/writing large bits of consecutive data. They also don't have the same issues with chemical degradation like transistor drives and thus are good for long term storage.
Is this not true?

USAFRet

Titan
Hmmm.
Is this not true?
No.
SSDs are faster in ALL use modes vs a spinning HDD.
Sequential throughput, access time, seek time, I/O per second, etc, etc.

For "long term storage"...I certainly wouldn't 'write once and put it on the shelf for a decade'.
There have been cases and tests (in extreme conditions) where the SSD loses data after some time.

Reactions: whitelion1284
Solution