How to set up HDD-SSD

wummy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Hi, so i have 2 HDD 500gb each in raid 0 at the moment, and for some reason they're read SSD, but thats not my point. i booted up my pc the other day, and it said Error occured raid (0) and i figured it wouldn't boot, but it did. so i decided to look at my storage and i saw that i only had 500gb of space left, and i cannot use my other 500gbs of space. just gone. so i decided that i'm going to get an Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD. how would i replace it? and what would happen if i just hook it up inside? would it wipe everything out (fyi don't care if i lose anything nothing important on there) how would i set up up? like 1 HDD and 1 SSD 500gb to 250gb.

Solution

If you wish to use this SSD as the boot drive, you will need to do a whole new OS install on this new drive.

For Win 10, you won't need the license key. Just install the OS on this new drive.
You create your bootable OS DVD or USB here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You'll need a blank USB of 5GB or larger.
Blank....whatever is on it WILL be wiped out.

You will also need to find and save all the drivers for your...

USAFRet

Titan
It does not automagially wipe everything out.
Your current install seems to be corrupted in some way, so I'd just do a whole new OS install with the new drive.

1. Gather all of the relevant drivers for your hardware.
2. If pre-Win 10, know your OS license key
3. Disconnect ALL other drives
4. Do the install on the new SSD
5. Install whatever drivers you need

Later, connect the old drives, and wipe them fully.

wummy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Well i got windows 10 reinstalled when i sent it on a long time ago to a shop/ so where do i accquire the license key? and what do you mean disconnect all other drives?. and will it be just simple installing the ssd then booting once i reset my pc? what do you mean like whole new os?

USAFRet

Titan

If you wish to use this SSD as the boot drive, you will need to do a whole new OS install on this new drive.

For Win 10, you won't need the license key. Just install the OS on this new drive.
You create your bootable OS DVD or USB here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You'll need a blank USB of 5GB or larger.
Blank....whatever is on it WILL be wiped out.

You will also need to find and save all the drivers for your hardware.
LAN, GPU, etc, etc.

By 'disconnect', I mean physically disconnect the SATA cables from your other drives.
Obviously, you do this with the power off.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

A whole new OS installation is just that...a blank slate.
Windows will install enough basic drivers to get things working.
But you will need your GPU, maybe your LAN or WiFi adapter driver...if you have a fancy keyboard, the driver for that.

wummy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
I do indeed so, i'll back up my drivers. cause i do have a fancy keyboard and mouse that lights up aha. and how would i wipe out my old drives later?
and i appreciate this so much for your help. i'm new into building pc and all this i know a bit, but not enough. never built a pc before.

USAFRet

Titan

Not backup your drivers...download the install thing from the manufacturer.
Just like when your system was brand new...they need to be installed again with the new OS.