[SOLVED] How to set up home network storage system?

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Hello! Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I currently have AT&T for internet with their router. We are getting pretty heavy into photography and video and are beginning to use lots of memory. I would like us to have a server or memory system in our house that we can both access from our home network and store all of our files on. My wife uses a Mac and I use a PC which I am sure complicates things.

We do not need to access this from outside of the home. This is purely for inside the home to store files. I would also like to ensure that each drive is redundant and has 100% backup of it in the event of corruption or failure, so I imagine I am in need of multiple drives. I would like to be able to store numerous TB's of data.

What do I need to get this up and running, and any direction on what reading or guides I can use to follow?

Thank you very much for your time!

Solution
Hello! Budget isn't really a major concern at this point. I'd like to keep it under $1,000 USD including drives. Probably start with maybe 1 TB at this point in time with the ability to expand up to 10TB in the future, maybe 5 TB. Somewhere in that ballpark.

Of course, the less I need to spend the better, but I would prefer to pay once for the right items.
A 4 bay QNAP or Synology, incl drives, will do exactly this.

I don't want to gush too much about my NAS, but this QNAP has been pretty much flawless.
Currently, main storage is on the PCs, and then backed up to the NAS every night. Macrium Reflect does this for Windows.

Also, long term storage on the NAS.
Then, also backed up to the drive array in the 4 bay TR-004.

The...

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
First 2 questions:
What is the budget, and what is the overall space requirement?
(NOTE: Space can also include backups from your regular systems, which you NEED to have)

Hello! Budget isn't really a major concern at this point. I'd like to keep it under $1,000 USD including drives. Probably start with maybe 1 TB at this point in time with the ability to expand up to 10TB in the future, maybe 5 TB. Somewhere in that ballpark.

Of course, the less I need to spend the better, but I would prefer to pay once for the right items.

USAFRet

Titan

I don't want to gush too much about my NAS, but this QNAP has been pretty much flawless.
Currently, main storage is on the PCs, and then backed up to the NAS every night. Macrium Reflect does this for Windows.

The NAS is 3x 8TB HDD, and a 480GB SSD for the system drive.
The TR-004 is 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf.

Modified some since this was written, but this:

I don't have a Mac, but the QNAP apparently talks to Mac Time Machine functionality.

Reactions: Exdeus
Solution

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012

The NAS is 3x 8TB HDD, and a 480GB SSD for the system drive.
The TR-004 is 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf.

Modified some since this was written, but this:

I don't have a Mac, but the QNAP apparently talks to Mac Time Machine functionality.

Thank you!