[SOLVED] How to set up laptop for gaming.

Apr 9, 2020
Hello there to all.
Hope everyone is safe and sound.

I would appreciate if one with experience could help me out with properly setting up my new gaming laptop. I am new to the pc world and gaming and I have recently I bought an HP Omen 17. I know that as a new guy I bought a monster I can barely handle but I was like " well it will last for a long time, if I don't make it explode".

To begin with, I used DDU to clean up the GPU drivers and install them again in Safe-mode manually since the GPU wasn't showing up in the Display monitors in the Device Manager.

After some minutes of gaming I had a black screen while the laptop was still running and had to hard reboot. Tried again to play while reducing a bit of undervolt and same story (black screen) happened again.

Furthermore, I bought the laptop online through a known chain of second hand electronics and the product's condition was pretty good, had only a small scratch on the power supply cable. I do not know if it got any damage along the way to me cause it got shipped to my address and I also do not know what kind of thermal paste/liquid metal paste it has or if it has any at all. I was thinking of opening the laptop to check or change paste myself but I guess that would void my 2 year warranty so I wouldn't want to mess with that.

Generally, I am currently trying to learn through online how to do videos or forums. I have a lot of questions regarding undervolting or what benchmarks or stress tests to do cause I dont want to burn up the laptop by randomly trying stuff on it.

If anyone has some time available to shed some light in my situation, it would be trully appreciated. Thank you for reading my post.

:)

Last edited:
Solution
You can rollback to a previous drivers if you want to test. Nothing bad doing that. If a drivers gives you non stop blackscreen and the one before doesn't. Keep the previous drivers.

I totally understand your point on the temperature but you have to understand something. This is a laptop. It will overheat whatever you do :) temperature at 90C in a laptop isn't rare. People buy fan tray to put their laptop on. All of the hardware is cramped inside that small laptop case and it gets hot.

If you leave your laptop at everything default and you can play your games just fine and it doesn't reboot, give you a blackscreen etc. Do not touch anything and leave it like that.

A laptop gets hot. The fan ramps up because of the temperature. A...
Ok let's start with a big why. WHY? You bought a good gaming laptop. Do not do anything on it except update your drivers. You don't have to under-volt anything. Your issues you're having is probably because you did under-volt your stuff. Put everything back to default and play your games. People that undervolt their stuff are having problems to begin with. When you don't have any you don't touch that. People who start doing a lot of manual optimization normally screw up their entire OS. Your laptop does not need any optimization to run your games properly. It's already a good laptop and no optimization you will do on your end will give you 50% more performance. Forget that and run everything by default.

Or if you have a 3900-3950x and you see your voltage at 1.5 which is too high for nothing. This is not your case.

In device manager your GPU should be in Display Adapter.

Reactions: Hannybunny
Apr 9, 2020
Ok let's start with a big why. WHY? You bought a good gaming laptop. Do not do anything on it except update your drivers. You don't have to under-volt anything. Your issues you're having is probably because you did under-volt your stuff. Put everything back to default and play your games. People that undervolt their stuff are having problems to begin with. When you don't have any you don't touch that. People who start doing a lot of manual optimization normally screw up their entire OS. Your laptop does not need any optimization to run your games properly. It's already a good laptop and no optimization you will do on your end will give you 50% more performance. Forget that and run everything by default.

Or if you have a 3900-3950x and you see your voltage at 1.5 which is too high for nothing. This is not your case.

Hello Nemesia and thank you for your reply.

The very first few days I bought the laptop, it would suddenly every now and then increase fan speed and as seen in the Omen command centre, the CPU temperature would rise to 70 or even 90 Celcius sometimes for a couple of seconds. Now in playing games and all that sometimes the temperatures of the cores spike to 80 or 90 Celcius but dont stay up for long.

While watching videos or reading forums online about gaming and related stuff for more performance, most people chat about having stable frequencies in the cpu cores and that they should not spike too much and all that. Same thing would go for heat in laptops, that they should not reach certain temperatures like 80 or 90 celcius cause one damages like that the hardware they have.

Therefore, since I had random spikes in CPU temperatures and core frequencies that werent very stable, I thought to underclock/undervolt to make the laptop more stable. That goes as to why I decided that in the first place. Of course, I understand your point of view and I would say you are right. I will turn everything to default for now and see whats happening temperature wise to cpu and gpu while gaming.

Meanwhile, I have seen online that the latest Geforce invidia update (445.75) has caused some issues (black screen) with gaming. Could that be a cause of the problem as well?

You can rollback to a previous drivers if you want to test. Nothing bad doing that. If a drivers gives you non stop blackscreen and the one before doesn't. Keep the previous drivers.

I totally understand your point on the temperature but you have to understand something. This is a laptop. It will overheat whatever you do :) temperature at 90C in a laptop isn't rare. People buy fan tray to put their laptop on. All of the hardware is cramped inside that small laptop case and it gets hot.

If you leave your laptop at everything default and you can play your games just fine and it doesn't reboot, give you a blackscreen etc. Do not touch anything and leave it like that.

A laptop gets hot. The fan ramps up because of the temperature. A laptop fan can be pretty loud.

Try buying a thing that you put under the laptop with fans on it. I have no idea what the name of that thing is.

Reactions: Hannybunny
Solution
Apr 9, 2020
Actually that sounds brilliant trying out previous GPU drivers.

Okay I see for laptop temperatures. I already have a cooling pad for the laptop and I guess it already helps a bit. How hot should a laptop get though? I understand that 90C isn't rare for a laptop but If you have temps like these all the time, that would't be good for the longevity of the laptop would it?

Kind of unrelated to this question by the way, while going through the Intel XTU, I came across 'Current/EDP Limit Throttling' which for me was a flashing yellow yes. Any idea what's that about?

Thank you

Apr 9, 2020

A laptop gets hot. The fan ramps up because of the temperature. A laptop fan can be pretty loud.

Try buying a thing that you put under the laptop with fans on it. I have no idea what the name of that thing is.
Update:
Turned everything to default and DDU drivers, installed the 441.87 mobile ones and still in COD MW remastered + in a benchmark (heaven benchmark 4.0) had black screen crash. At least the computer now restarts after the black screen.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Heydoyouknowme

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019

Undervolting is the most sensible thing that you should do buy a laptop. In intel it is very profitable. I had many laptops which had overheating issues and were fixed with normal undervolt. Even in some cases for those with better cooling run near boost clocks at average.