[SOLVED] How to set up m.2 ssd as the boot drive

Dec 7, 2019
I have an asus vivobook x510uf - 8250u with 1 tb of 5400 rpm hdd. I recently bought an m.2 ssd and plan to use it as my boot drive while using the hdd as my storage (so all in all my laptop would have both the ssd and hdd, 240gb + 1tb)
I've researched that you need to reinstall windows in order to achieve this and I was wondering if i could just use the fresh start feature from windows security>device performance & health> Fresh start to properly reinstall windows.

I have little knowledge about this stuff if you could provide videos on step by step it would be a great help.

I am also considering following this video

Solution
I

I'll just follow the video attached in my post thank you for your knowledge!

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
I don't need to reinstall windows?
These other replies are uneducated. You can use a utility called AOMEI backupper, which will copy all files on your storage device onto your M.2 SSD, which then will be plug and play as long as your boot order is set correctly.

Edit: It's much easier than having to make a full backup then reinstall windows from scratch.

Reactions: testsubject2575

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
These other replies are uneducated. You can use a utility called AOMEI backupper, which will copy all files on your storage device onto your M.2 SSD, which then will be plug and play as long as your boot order is set correctly.

Edit: It's much easier than having to make a full backup then reinstall windows from scratch.
Bro I have tried that software, this will end with a corrupted Windows. I am not saying blindly. To avoid any errors I suggest you to have clean install Windows.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, mostly every answer here is wrong or incomplete.

Multiple things need to be considered before either path is taken...a clean install or a clone operation.

Cloning can work, given certain conditions.
A new 240GB SSD. What specific make/model?
How much space is currently consumed on the C drive?

Dec 7, 2019
OK, mostly every answer here is wrong or incomplete.

Multiple things need to be considered before either path is taken...a clean install or a clone operation.

Cloning can work, given certain conditions.
A new 240GB SSD. What specific make/model?
How much space is currently consumed on the C drive?
Kingston a400 240gb m.2
read up to 500mb/s
write up to 350mb/s

I used about 270gb in my 1tb hdd rn

Dec 7, 2019
I
And that is why we ask, and don't blindly recommend a cloning operation.

270GB obviously won't clone into a 240GB drive. You need to get that actual used space to well below 200GB.
And no, you can't pick and choose during the clone operation.

USAFRet

Titan
I

Solution