How to set up SSD and HDD

NinjahFeet

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
so here is the problem,
i currently have a custom built PC that has both an SSD and an HDD. the SSD hold the boot files and what not and the HDD holds everything else. however i am encountering a problem with storage space. anything i download automatically goes to the SSD, and i currently have only 900 MB left. what can i do to have windows on the ssd and the program files and program files x86 on the HDD instead of the SSD. i am thinking about just rocking the HDD, but then that would make the PC very slow and unbearable. any help would be appreciated

P.S i am going to rebuild the storage part of my PC and do a format, so tips on keeping everything off the SSD from the BEGINNING instead of the END would be appreciated.

Solution
In addition:
1. Turn off hibernation
2. Reduce the number of restore points
3. Given sufficient RAM, reduce the page file
4. In "Libraries" you can designate other locations - D-Docs, for instance (a folder on the D drive called Docs). Save newly created docs there.
5. You can change the actual location of MyDocuments/MyMusic/MyMovies, etc. I haven't.
6. All of my music and movies live elsewhere. Mine are on a whole different PC, but could be just on a different drive.

USAFRet

Titan
1. In your browser(s), change the default download location to somewhere on the HDD. BitTorrent, do the same. I have a folder on the HDD called "downloads".
2. When you install something, take the extra 3 seconds and choose a location on the HDD. Select Custom or Advanced during the installation. I have a top level folder just to hold those installations. Call it HDDApps or something recognizable. Install stuff there.

900MB left...you really, really want to change that.

USAFRet

Titan
In addition:
1. Turn off hibernation
2. Reduce the number of restore points
3. Given sufficient RAM, reduce the page file
4. In "Libraries" you can designate other locations - D-Docs, for instance (a folder on the D drive called Docs). Save newly created docs there.
5. You can change the actual location of MyDocuments/MyMusic/MyMovies, etc. I haven't.
6. All of my music and movies live elsewhere. Mine are on a whole different PC, but could be just on a different drive.

Solution
^ CONCUR
.. especially the comment on free space - 900 mb free - OUCH.
You do not Identify what SSD (size). But you should Leave a MINIUM of 20% UNSED so that wear leveling, Garbage Collector (GC) and Trim can work their magic to maintain the performance. Also anything less than 10% free will shorten the life of the SSD. Additionally with Less than 10% free some SSDs will slow down to same speed as a HDD.

Have three systems, my OS + Programs (no Games) only take approx. 35 gigs.
Some tips to conserve space, in addition to moving My Docs and downloads to HDD.
1) Disable hibernation. If 8 gigs of Rams This saves approx. 8 gigs of SSD space - 4 Gis of Ram saves 4 gigs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

2) Take control of your page file (Virtual memory), Set Both Min and max to: w/8Gigs Ram set both values to 1024mbs SAVES approx. 11 gigs. If you only have 4 Gigs of ram set min and max both to 2048 mbs - save 4 gigs of space.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

3) Limit the amount of space that your Restore folder can use. Each restore point takes 300 mbs, JUST 20 Restore points = 6 Gigs. Limit folder to 1.6 Gigs. Personnaly I just disable restore points and rely on windows System image Backup.
To Change: http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/change-limit-system-restore-windows-7/
To disable: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-system-restore-in-windows-vista/

PS I see USAFRet beat me to it, left post as provided links on "How to".

mister_twister

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I would recommend you to keep PROGRAM FILES X86 on your SSD drive, but you can change DOWNLOADS folder to your HDD, that way you can get the best performance. I found cheap external SSD that I use External SSD It is USB 3.0 works like a lightning :)