How to set up your ISP PPPoE on ASUS RT-AC66U router

zon

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I recently got fiber optic internet but I didn't want to use my ISP provided router. (bad Wi-Fi connection that will not even run remotely close to what I'm paying for)
First you need to call your ISP and tell them you want to use your own router and not theirs. Ask them that you need your login (PPP User name and Password) information so your router can get onto the internet. (on Enable VPN + DHCP Connection I have mine set to "No".)
asus-rt-n66u-pppoe.jpg

I don't know if all ISP do this but Century Link Fiber you need to set your VLAN to port 201
To set up VLAN on ASUS router you need to go under LAN > IPTV > under LAN Port (Select ISP Profile) > Manual Settings. Where it says Internet - VID (enter the VLAN port to work with their internet)
vfBqOJj.png

(I'm running on Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.380_4005 so mine looks a little different but in the same place)
If all the information is correct you will be able to get on the internet!
Good Luck!

Solution
Yeah I have setup fibre routers in NZ and the telco there used VlanID's as well im guessing this is to allow the DHCP traffic to assign an IP to your device

zon

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Yes. With out the VLAN set up properly, it would say disconnected even though the outside line was connected. The way they did it was fiber to their main box then Ethernet to the house to get 1gbps on CAT5e or higher type of Ethernet cable. As long as the cable from the box to your router is with in 1000 ft. They use the PPPoE to make sure you are a customer of theirs.