How to Set Up Your Windows Laptop or Desktop the Right Way

Dec 25, 2022
Since Microsoft Edge is based on Chromium (the open-source version of Google Chrome), Edge can install and use Chrome extensions natively.

So while there might be other reasons to want to make Chrome your default browser (as I have), there's no need to replace Edge with Chrome due to FOMO on the wealth of extensions available to Chrome.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Clearly, Microsoft thinks that file extensions are too complicated for the unwashed masses. So, by default, Windows 11 hides the ".docx" or ".jpg" or ".exe" suffixes that appear at the end of file names.

The reason why file extensions are not visible by default is not because it is "too complicated for the masses". The file extension actually still shows if you hover over the file.

It is because it prevents accidents when renaming files. It prevents accidentally renaming the file extension suffix.

If you click the detailed file view on the bottom right you can immediately see all extensions too, while still preventing you to accidentally rename suffixes.

The default Windows setting of preventing accidental corruption of the extension suffix, is generally a good thing for all users, including power users.

Last edited:

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
When I pull a new notebook PC out of its box, I'll plug it into the wall outlet, open it up and turn it on... then wait for an hour or so until the SSD drive light stops flashing.

Then, I'll log into Windows, and again... wait an hour or so until the SSD drive light stops flashing.

This seems to make the entire setup process go more smoothly.

My thought is to go very slowly and not try to rush the first-time-startup process - or things tend to go wonky.

Dec 26, 2022
Running the PC Health Check since it was an upgrade from Win 10 Pro was informative. But memory profiles in bios can gain speed from default. Smart Access Memory requires 4G and BAR support AFAICT. There are other tweaks. YMMV

Upgrades to bios were released for some (B450 at least) that include security updates.

There are still issues with power, sleep and games but so far seems fairly stable 22H2.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Is there a way to make Windows 11 accept the fact I DO NOT want Office365 or their OneDrive?

Got Office Home & Student installed (I'm not paying you a subscription, thank you MS) and even that's trying to stick Office365 into your body cavities.

Jun 19, 2022
Nice article, thanks. I use so many different (windows) devices that it is hard to setup each one with all the bells and whistles hence I pick my battles here but there are a few good ones in here that I immediately changed on my favorite laptop when reading this article.