How to setup ATI Eye Infinity?

serulin

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Hi,

I have looked all over and couldn't find out how to set up eye infinity.

I am trying to achieve 2 things.

#1 combine both my 46" hdtv and my 22" lcd monitor into one big view.

#2 play a full screen 1920x1080 resolution game on my hdtv while being able to surf the web / other stuff without it minimizing (like it is doing now with my dual monitor stretch mode)

Do I even have the right idea about what eye infinity can do?

If so, how do i set it up? I looked at amd's guide page
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/gpu50-ati-eyefinity-display-groups.aspx

and it says to go to desktop and displays but I don't even have that icon in my catalyst v10.6. ( I read somewhere in the release notes that xp doesnt have this)

It is just display manager. I see nothing about eye infinity setup.

Specs:
I am running a HD 5850 with the hdtv having an hdmi to hdmi connection and the lcd having a dvi to dvi connection.

Do I not have the right hardware? DO I need a display port or something? ( I heard only 3 or more requires dp) Am I just missing a configuration? Or is this not what eye infinity does?

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure that you can't play a fullscreen game and surf the web at the same time without alt-tabbing out... As for the "one big view", you just change the screen resolution to include both displays by choosing extend desktop.
All eyefinity really is is the ability to use 3 displays with independent resolutions, refresh rates, on one card.

serulin

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009

Are you sure? I Thought it could act like two separate computers (just screens at least).

http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/products/eyefinity/whatiseyefinity/Pages/what-is-eyefinity.aspx

The fourth picture down on ati's eyeinfinity site shows gaming full screen on the right screen, web surfing on the left and movies on the center screen.

It says you are able to "View TV sports, movies, or video entertainment on one monitor while viewing online stats, Internet pages, or games on other displays.3"

There seems to be a "group" feature in catalyst that doesn't show on mine.