[SOLVED] How to setup case fans for B550 Tomahawk + CM H500

Nov 27, 2020
Hello all,

Noob questions, please bear with me.

First time builder, not very familiar (not much at all) with technical aspects of electronics either. I have been trying to research case fans but haven't got a definitive answer for my problem which is regarding putting 2 case fans 120mm on top + replacing the rear end one. I am mostly confused about the headers and how to split fans into limited number of headers, I am aware of the different pin setups.

The B550 tomahawk comes with 2 ARGB 3A 5v 3pin headers and 2x RGB 3A 4pin headers.
The H500 comes with 2 140mm ARGB fans and apparently with a 1 to 3 splitter, as I understand the other end goes to the header and it splits into 3 fans, so this would occupy one of the ARGB headers for the 2 fans am I correct? Now I don't know if this would exceed the amperage for the one header as I don't see any mention what's the amperage of the fans?

The H500 comes with 2x 140mm ARGB fans on the front and one in the back. I thought of putting 3 identical 120mm RGB fans, 2 on top and replace the one in the rear, all 3 of them as exhaust and have the 2 front fans be intake.

The question is:

1. Are all 120mm fans universal and compatible for the case and motherboard?
  2. Do I use a 4pin 1 to 3 RGB splitters (such as in the link below for example) to handle the fans as I have only 2 RGB headers?
  3. As I check fans, I don't really see the amperage of the fans in the specifications for any of the fans I'm checking? Will they generally undercut the 3A figures if I combine 3 fans into a RGB header so I'm safe for sure?
  4. What fans should I get, I want something that would be esthetically nice, not insanely expensive though, I was looking at Enermax T.B rgb or Corsair LL120 RGB, or something that you suggest? (Links below)
  5. Is there any better setup way? I've seen some of these external controllers that can be used as some sort of connectors for the rgb fans
Optional 6: Any comments on my setup, haven't really gotten any stamp of approval from anyone for it, not going to overclock or do anything crazy, just want to make sure it's compatible and ok in terms of setup :)

Thank you so much in advance, appreciate all the work and helpers.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Liwintin...replacementKeywords=1+bis+rgb+splitter&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Enermax-120-T-B-Pack-Illuminated/dp/B07S7STV2C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1BEYWO2JJTR0T&dchild=1&keywords=enermax+tb+rgb&qid=1606520132&sprefix=enermax+tb,aps,185&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/CO-9050071-WW-Corsair-Computer-Fan/dp/B075VDGSJ8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=120+mm+corsair+rgb+lüfter&qid=1606519935&sr=8-3

My setup:

GPURTX TUF 3080
CPURyzen 9 5900x
CoolerDark rock pro 4
MotherboardB550 Tomahawk
PSUMSI MPG A850GF 850W Gold 80+ Fully Modular ATX PSU
SSDSamsung MZ-V7E500BW 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD Black
MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
CaseCooler Master MasterCase H500 ARGB

Last edited:
Solution
Honestly the fans it comes with should be fine for cooling case air flow. Just adjust the fan speeds to your liking. The most important thing for cooling is your cpu and you seem to have that covered.