How to setup Fios Gigabit ethernet on Desktop

Sep 24, 2018
I recently purchased Fios Gigabit internet, and I get amazing speed over wireless, but want to reach the full potential of Gigabit. Im using the Fios Quantum Gateway: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/
Which is what is recommended on their website. I was wondering what I need to get so my PC can get the full gig. Stuff like ethernet cords and wired cards, or if i need a router that can send out 1gb on ethernet. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
on your mb check in the bios that the ethernet port is turned on. make sure intel chipset and mei drivers are installed. under network devices make sure wifi and ethernet port are not disabled.

USAFRet

Titan

Cat5e cable direct to the FiOS router device is all you need.

USAFRet

Titan

Your motherboard almost certainly has a 1gigabit capable LAN port. No need for anything extra.

Your current router? That can be used, but won't give any extra performance.

Do you have TV through Verizon as well?

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, I do. I also have a Asus Maximus VIII Hero, but when I've tried to use the port in the past, it doesn't work. I installed the drivers and everything, and it still didn't work, so do you have any recommendations for LAN cards?

USAFRet

Titan

Odd that it doesn't work. I don't have any specific recommendation, but any gigabit PCIe LAN card should work.

And with TV through Verizon, you must have the FiOS router in the chain somewhere. That's wat talks to the TV boxes.

So adding another router gives no performance benefit.

I also have FiOS and that same gateway router. Not gigabit speed, though. Just 75/75. Soon to be 150/150 I think.