How to setup lan via crossover cable or switch ? (Help!!)

anoyo

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
So i just brought 3 crossover cable (lan cable com to com) and switch 5 port for connecting 2 pc and 1 laptop for file sharing and gaming via lan but i unable to setup lan and make it work so if you guys know how to make it work or can help me will be the most appreciate.

2 pc 1.use windows 8.1 os
2.use windows 7
1 laptop use windows 8.1

3 crossover cable
1 network switch

Solution
crossover cables are meant for computer to computer. If you want to work with a switch will need straight through cables.

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013

yup
You might want to configure static IP's too to avoid spending loads of time waiting for your machine to contact a none existant DHCP server. Though if you have some kind of router to get on the internet you wont have this problem as it is a DHCP server also.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
crossover cables is used for example between router and switch; uplink to link

from that site:
Hubs and switches are deliberately wired opposite(not crossover) the way end stations are wired, so that when a hub or switch is connected to an end station, a "straight through" ethernet cable can be used and the pairs will match up properly. When two hub/switches are connected to each other, or two end stations are connected to each other, a "crossover" cable is used to make sure that the correct pairs are connected.

These days, crossover cables aren't necessary to connect between routers and switches.

But to connect other computers or laptops to a switch or router, a straight through cable is needed. Only when connecting an router to switch or switch to switch may a crossover cable be required.

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013

You are right some switches will auto sense and a crossover cable might actually work. but it's not needed. Try it and find out :)

TRENDING THREADS