[SOLVED] How to setup NAS with wireless router

olgamavicz

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hi!

I am wondering how to set up my NAS and router. My hardware:
  • Synology NAS
  • Huawei 4G router (B315S-22)
The NAS runs fine and I had no problem accessing it with my previous modem/router.
The first issue I'm encoutering is that the 4G router, although equipped with 3 Gigabit ethernet ports, doesn't show in its interface the different devices connected to it via those wired ports. This means that if I let the router assign dynamically an address to the clients, there is no way I can tell what my NAS's address is, since the router doesn't provide wired hardware info.

Then the second issue (this is a minor one), it seems that the router doesn't like to be set up through a wired port. When I try from my laptop over Ethernet, I cannot reach the router config interface (but I can using wifi).

Then last but not least, the third issue: when connected through one of the gigabit ports, I cannot access my NAS, but it works fine when the same laptop connects through the wireless network. For the other devices, wireless is OK, but for this particular laptop, I really need the speed that the Gigabit offers.

Any thoughts on or solutions to any of the aforementioned issues?

Thanks in advance!

Olga

Last edited:
Solution
  1. The NAS box should report what IP address it is given by the router.
  2. "from my laptop over internet, I cannot reach "...this is typical. Remote Admin is almost always OFF by default.

olgamavicz

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hi!

Thanks @Calvin7, but that wasn't my question. The internet comes from a wireless connection, so there is a SIM card in it, and it is in use. My issue is within my internal network. Does that router really not provide any information on or any way to manage devices connected to the Ethernet ports?

Thanks!

olgamavicz

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Thanks @USAFRet,
  1. The NAS box should report what IP address it is given by the router.
    ==> that's my whole point: this implies I have to know what IP address the box was given by the router, so I can connect to the box's interface so I can see what IP address it has... Typical chicken and egg issue.
  2. "from my laptop over internet, I cannot reach "...this is typical. Remote Admin is almost always OFF by default.
    ==> Sorry, typo, I meant over Ethernet! I'll correct it in my original message!
Thanks!
Olga