Question How to setup Wake on Wan for cheap?

May 19, 2019
Long story short, I'm going away on a month long holiday overseas in 1 - 2 months, but I need remote access to my PC for work (and maybe some Moonlight gaming). Issue is, I can't keep my PC on for that long, it would overheat and die if it was on 24/7 for a month. Is there anyway to do it? I know WOW doesn't technically exist/work, but there's got to be some work around, right? I don't mind spending a little bit of money for it, all I need is for it to turn on through an app or something. I have a Virgin Super Hub 3.0 connected to the PC through Ethernet, and I have semi-functional WOL (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). I

May 19, 2019
No, it won't "overheat and die" if left on 24/7.
It is at absolute idle, unless you are accessing it.

Yeah, I know it will be at idle, but I have it overclocked to 3.8GHZ @ 50°C idle, and that can't be healthy for a whole month, plus, if it crashes or something, I'm screwed, so I can't take the risk of having no way to turn it back on.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I know it will be at idle, but I have it overclocked to 3.8GHZ @ 50°C idle, and that can't be healthy for a whole month, plus, if it crashes or something, I'm screwed, so I can't take the risk of having no way to turn it back on.
If it is at risk of crashing at idle due to the OC, your OC is too much and not stable.
There is no way to actually turn a system ON if it is really OFF.

In addition to all the other supposed Wake On Wan foolishness.

May 19, 2019
If it is at risk of crashing at idle due to the OC, your OC is too much and not stable.
There is no way to actually turn a system ON if it is really OFF.

In addition to all the other supposed Wake On Wan foolishness.

I don't mean that the overclock would crash it, it's just if it did, I would be done for. I know WOW doesn't exist, but is there a way I can enable WOL remotely, maybe through a raspberry pi zero? Those don't over heat, right? I've heard of people hooking up Arduinos to the power contacts and enabling them wirelessly... But I have no idea how to do anything with an Arduino.

USAFRet

Titan
The theory of WOW is the same, no matter through whatever magic packet you send, or via a Pi.
If the system is OFF, it is OFF. Some physical finger needs to press the button.

If its not going to crash, then it is available. If it crashes...it is done.

You can use one of the remote control apps to turn on a remotely-controlled outlet module at your home. The outlet can drive a small circuit that has a one-shot that drives a relay that has normally open dry contacts that provide the momentary switch closure to turn on the PC. Obviously, you should then turn off the remotely controlled outlet at some point after turning it on, to prepare for the next activation.

This is really a very trivial bit of remote control that is basically left up to your preference of what remote control app and hardware to use. Constructing a power-on one-shot is one of those basic electronics applications that you will easily find via a web search, and will cost you less than $10.00-worth of parts, including the wall wart to power it with.

Going with an R-Pi, or Arduino is serious over-kill.

View: https://imgur.com/a/BjZ4YX3

Use a 5VDC wall wart to supply voltage to the power-on one-shot.

Plug 5VDC wall wart into cell phone app remotely controlled outlet.

Connect relay contacts to computer power switch terminals.

When power is remotely turned-on, relay closes for 0.5 second, turning on computer.

Use mobile app to turn-off the remotely controlled outlet.

Computer stays on until you execute a controlled shutdown through the OS.

Everything is then ready to do it again.

Outside of the cost of your mobile app remotely controlled outlet switch, total parts cost is about ten bucks.