Question How to share monitor between laptop and desktop ?

May 6, 2023
Hi

I have an old (but good) iiyama monitor (E2201W) which has 2 inputs (DVI-D 24 pin and D-sub mini 15 pin).

On the front is a button to select source – I assume it toggles between these 2 input sockets?

I have just bought a laptop – fine for short use – but not for a long time – hence, I’d like to share my monitor between my old desktop and my new laptop (without constantly plugging/unplugging cables)

Laptop supports external display via HDMI port – can buy a HDMI to DVI-D cable so could connect .

Desktop graphics card (NVidea GeForce GTX1050Ti) has 3 outputs, Display Port compatible, HDMI compatible & DVI Compatible.

Is there a significant difference between these ?

Can I simply buy a suitable cable to connect the graphics card to the D-Sub mini port on the monitor and then simply switch between the 2 input sources ? Any preference for which GPU port to use ?

Many thanks in advance, H

Yes, you can do this so long as your monitor has either a physical button or menu selection to switch between inputs.

I'd recommend using the HDMI to DVI-D as you suggested, for the laptop, and then using the DVI to VGA (D-sub) by way of adapter on both, since you have an older monitor that lacks HDMI or Displayport inputs.

May 6, 2023
Yes, you can do this so long as your monitor has either a physical button or menu selection to switch between inputs.

I'd recommend using the HDMI to DVI-D as you suggested, for the laptop, and then using the DVI to VGA (D-sub) by way of adapter on both, since you have an older monitor that lacks HDMI or Displayport inputs.

Great. Thanks for reply. Monitor has physical button (labelled source). At the moment, with only I input connected, it toggles between display and blank. I'll get the appropriate cables. Just wanted to be as sure as possible that I wasn't likely to blow anything up. Thanks again.