How to show ownership of laptop?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff_James

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
I posted a thread on here about a locked password protected laptop I got out of a house clean up. I know it is against the fourm to tell me how to unlock it. I understand. I was told by a couple of people I would have to take it somewhere and show ownership to have it unlocked.

Now as I said before I know zero about computers. I am lucky to get my emails and get to eBay.

My questions is how does one show ownership of a laptop????

I have only bought one new laptop before and I don't think I ever registered it anywhere. I don't think my name was attached to it in any way. If it was, I probably used a fake name as the police always tells you never use your any real name, address or S.S. numbers online. So I don't post any of that ever. I don't even have a facebook, twitter or any of that as they want your name and personal info. Too nosey for me!!!!

I bought a laptop at a flea market once and just brought it home and plugged it in. I know I didn't do anything there. As for boxes, receipts, warranties and so on I never keep any of that stuff. Why? For something that is going to be out dated in 6 months??????

Maybe I am not getting it. I don't know. But I have always wondered how people can trace your computer back to you. I use my wirelesss every chance I can. If it is off my neighbors, or the restaurant down the street.

So I don't know how one would show ownership. I never heard of such a thing. So please someone enlighten me. Thanks

We don't have any way to check that you own it, even if you did everything right.

All we can tell you to do is contact the manufacturer, and prove the ownership to them.

I don't have a clue how you'd use a false name to buy a laptop, given that you generally need a CC number.

How do you intend to use the warranty?

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
The police tell you not to use any real info online? I've never hears of this maybe if you go around dodgey sight's but for most places it perfectly fine

As for Facebook you don't jes to prove any info heybyou can even put a nickname in if you really want

Status
Not open for further replies.