[SOLVED] How to slow CPU and system fan

Feb 5, 2020
Hi there I have resurrected an old computer this year in preparation for my first build of my own. The issue I have is I need to know how to access the bios or other system to slow the fans or reset the CPU temperature. The computer I have fixed is a rather old one (I plan to connect it to a smart TV for kids to watch their movies on the screen only, it will not be connected to the internet).

Basically three years ago the computer died. I was not confident enough back then to fix it so I bought a new one. This year I decided to play around with it to see if I can get more use out of it as a home entertainment system for the TV. So I pulled it apart, removed all the dust, cleaned the heatsink, took apart the video card and did the same. Applied new thermal paste and the computer now started running like brand new. However before I fixed it the fans both the CPU and system fan were running at full pelt. After I fixed it this stopped. However I encountered a problem. As I copied data from the hard drive to a new computer by removing it the hard drive had errors and I could not operate normally so needed to do a full reset. That was all well and good.

Then after I fix it and the reset is done the operating system and computer work flawlessly. However there is one problem. The fans are now running at full pelt again. I have accessed the bios and it appears I cannot adjust the fan speed there.

Does anyone more experienced than me know how I can achieve this, thanks.

The computer is a HP 500-006a with a JasmineR MS-7778 motherboard -
Manufacturer: MSI
Form factor: uATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: AMD A75 FCH
Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 4 lanes, 5 GT/s per lane
Processor socket: FM2
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)
3 PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0)
1 half-length mini card

Processor
AMD A10 6700
TDP: 65W
Operating speed: Up to 3.7 GHz (up to 4.3 GHz turbo)
Number of cores: 4
Socket: FM2

Radeon HD 8570
Figure : Video card
Image of video card
Figure : Ports
Image of video card bracket showing ports
HDMI
DVI
Form Factor: Low profile with ATX bracket
Dimensions: 16.7 cm x 6.8 cm (6.6 in x 2.7 in)
Maximum resolution:
HDMI resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
DVI (dual-link) resolution: 1920 x 1200 x 32bpp at 60Hz
Analog VGA resolution (with adapter): 2048 x 1536 x 32bpp at 60Hz
2 GB onboard memory
Memory interface 128-bit DDR3
HDCP support
Supports Blu-ray
Total power consumption ~50 W (single slot)
Supports up to two displays at the same time

Solution
AMD usually has something like Cool n Quiet, which is a mode you can engage. Not so sure on a OEM board though. Lots of people seem to report this problem with the motherboard. It should automatically control fan speed.

If you aren't on the latest BIOS revision give that a go.

Or replace the CPU cooler with something larger and quieter, if possible.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AMD usually has something like Cool n Quiet, which is a mode you can engage. Not so sure on a OEM board though. Lots of people seem to report this problem with the motherboard. It should automatically control fan speed.

If you aren't on the latest BIOS revision give that a go.

Or replace the CPU cooler with something larger and quieter, if possible.

Reactions: stonecarver
Solution
Feb 5, 2020
Thanks for that, I have a feeling you are right. The bios appears to be the latest version but then again if no updates are available perhaps it is no longer supported by HP given it is a 2013 model. It works, its just the fans are loud.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Also please take into account that the fans themselves can be the reason of the problem. Newer fans are better. Replacing the fans can make a change. Even after finding the right application, you may need to replace the fans.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Back then, MSI had Control Center, a software program downloaded from the MSI website. That'll give rudimentary fan curves, only 2 points, but you can set the slider as you wish. The other option is SpeedFan, which works like a champ, has multiple ways to setup fans, speeds, temps etc BUT is a serious pita to get setup in the first place. Easier to learn Microsoft Office products.

In uefi bios, there is the option to control fan speeds, but it's an all or nothing option, you set the range of operation and min/max duty cycle, and hidden fan curves do the rest, no changes possible.