[SOLVED] How to software connect/disconnect wifi/cable internet connection?

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
I ask this question because I am not physically present in front of the network equipment to plug/unplug cables, to avoid someone asking "why not just go plug the cable?". There are always such people.

My question is: how to use software like applications or command lines to connect/disconnect wifi/cable internet connection (so there are four combinations)? I am using Windows 10. Hope I have made the question clear.

Solution
ok let's see if i can say it another way :)

go to the control panel, the select "network and internet", then "network and sharing center"

now on the left side you have an option for "change adapter settings", select that.

now you are looking at every connection the system has. right click each one and it will give you an option to enable or disable it depending on what it is set at right now.

this is not in the settings app but rather from the control panel. you can use the cortana search box to type in "control panel" to get straight to the control panel. win 10 has made it a bit harder and harder to get to these settings each update.

as a side note my first post could have been more specific about what is on the bottom right of...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you just want to enable and disable each connection at will? that's what it sounds like.

you do that from the network and sharing area. right click your connection on the bottom right of the task bar and select the network and sharing link. this shows all connections available. you click on each one and it opens the properties where you can enable or disable them as you wish.

or on the left of the network and sharing screen it says "change adapter settings" click this and it will list them all in one place again. right click each one and it enable or disable from there also.

easy enough :)

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
I got confused at the first sentence of the second paragraph "you do that from the network and sharing area". I tried my best to continue to read, only got more confused. I did not see "your connection on the bottom right of the task bar", so I guess I can find it in settings, so I search "network and sharing" in settings. I think Windows should be proud of me knowing searching in settings. But I was fu**ed off by "No results for network and sharing" from Windows. Don't know what are today's free picture upload website so no picture. Now what?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok let's see if i can say it another way :)

go to the control panel, the select "network and internet", then "network and sharing center"

now on the left side you have an option for "change adapter settings", select that.

now you are looking at every connection the system has. right click each one and it will give you an option to enable or disable it depending on what it is set at right now.

this is not in the settings app but rather from the control panel. you can use the cortana search box to type in "control panel" to get straight to the control panel. win 10 has made it a bit harder and harder to get to these settings each update.

as a side note my first post could have been more specific about what is on the bottom right of the task bar. i keep forgetting win 10 changed it from what it was for every windows version before it. it does not link directly to what i thought it still did. instead it links to the settings app network status page. bottom of that has the link to the network and sharing center. no reason to hide it but they decided to for some reason.

Reactions: zzzhhh
Solution

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
Yes, I found the "network and sharing center". I followed your first reply and disabled the wifi connection in properties. That freaked me out because I could no longer see the wifi connect in "network and sharing center". That means I have no way to enable it again -- I lost wifi forever! Why didn't Microsoft just grey it?! Fortunately (# one) I just disabled wifi, not cable connection, otherwise I would be completely fu**ed off because I am connecting to my remote desktop using cable (well I know I can reconnect to the remote desktop by first figure out the ip for wifi and then add a second port forward in XFinity App, but that sucks!). Fortunately (# two) I moved on to read your second reply, and I picked up my disabled wifi in the "change adapter settings". Then, my question is solved. Thank you.

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
How to mark this thread as [SOLVED]? I saw some threads in this forum have a green [SOLVED] mark in front of the title. I have searched every corner of the webpage and clicked the three dots but did not see "Mark the question as solved" command.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there should be a trophy above the arrows on the left of the post. click that for the right post and it selects that as "best answer" which then marks it as solved.

see the link in my signature for pics and more to help find the right thing.

TRENDING THREADS