Question How to solve error 4000 when updating to iOS 14 through iTunes WITHOUT DFU mode ?

Nov 28, 2020
Hey all. I thought this was just a small issue for a handful of users but this is apparently a widespread issue. Not sure what’s causing it but I know how to fix it.
First off, there’s been a few people suggesting DFU mode. While this may work, there’s an even easier way that I recommend trying first as DFU mode can be kind of a pain considering it forces you to restore your phone. Recovery mode (different from DFU) allows you to either restore or update.
Here’s the process:
  1. open iTunes on your computer and then connect your phone to it via USB.
  2. Backup your device in case something goes wrong (this should be standard practice anyway).
  3. Once your device has finished backing up, put your phone into recovery mode (again, NOT DFU mode as there is a difference). The process to get into recovery mode varies slightly from device to device so look up the process for your specific iPhone model. You know you’re in recovery mode when you get to a screen on your phone that looks like a lightning cable pointing to a laptop
  4. Once you get to this screen on your iPhone, you’ll see a popup from iTunes saying a bunch of things about recovery mode and you’ll have two options: update or restore. You wanna click update.
  5. Let iTunes do it’s thing. At this point you’re basically done giving input, now you’ve just got some waiting to do. iTunes will update the phone just like it usually does.
  6. Now here’s where things get different and may seem a little scary, but don’t freak out! Once your phone is updated, it’ll pop up with a white screen saying “attempting data recovery” again, don’t freak out, this will take a while. After that’s done, you’ll see another white screen just like the data recovery one except this one won’t have the text; just the black Apple logo.
  7. You’re pretty much done. Let the loading bar complete and go through your “post-update” setup and there. you. go.
I wanted to make this post simply because I’ve seen the term “DFU mode” thrown around a lot and while this may work, there’s an even easier way that is less risky as DFU mode FORCES you to restore before anything.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: alisafrost
Nov 26, 2020
Hey all. I thought this was just a small issue for a handful of users but this is apparently a widespread issue. Not sure what’s causing it but I know how to fix it.
First off, there’s been a few people suggesting DFU mode. While this may work, there’s an even easier way that I recommend trying first as DFU mode can be kind of a pain considering it forces you to restore your phone. Recovery mode (different from DFU) allows you to either restore or update.
Here’s the process:
  1. open iTunes on your computer and then connect your phone to it via USB.
  2. Backup your device in case something goes wrong (this should be standard practice anyway).
  3. Once your device has finished backing up, put your phone into recovery mode (again, NOT DFU mode as there is a difference). The process to get into recovery mode varies slightly from device to device so look up the process for your specific iPhone model. You know you’re in recovery mode when you get to a screen on your phone that looks like a lightning cable pointing to a laptop
  4. Once you get to this screen on your iPhone, you’ll see a popup from iTunes saying a bunch of things about recovery mode and you’ll have two options: update or restore. You wanna click update.
  5. Let iTunes do it’s thing. At this point you’re basically done giving input, now you’ve just got some waiting to do. iTunes will update the phone just like it usually does.
  6. Now here’s where things get different and may seem a little scary, but don’t freak out! Once your phone is updated, it’ll pop up with a white screen saying “attempting data recovery” again, don’t freak out, this will take a while. After that’s done, you’ll see another white screen just like the data recovery one except this one won’t have the text; just the black Apple logo.
  7. You’re pretty much done. Let the loading bar complete and go through your “post-update” setup and there. you. go.
I wanted to make this post simply because I’ve seen the term “DFU mode” thrown around a lot and while this may work, there’s an even easier way that is less risky as DFU mode FORCES you to restore before anything.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for this information. It was useful for me and helped to solve my problem.