[SOLVED] How to Solve Heat Issues After CPU Upgrade

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hey all!

About a month ago, I upgraded my CPU from an Intel Core i7-6800K to an Intel Xeon E5-2698 v3. Before the upgrade, my CPU ran at about ~40-45C for idle temps. My cooling method is a Cryorig H5 Ultimate on the CPU, and 6 (3x120mm & 3x140mm) fans throughout my case. In regards to airflow, the case is fairly constricted, but this didn't change when I switched CPUs - the PC is still sitting in the same physical place. I have a Corsair 750D case, and all PCIe slots are filled with GPU/SCSI/RAID/SATA/Thunderbolt Cards (I do a lot with hard drives).

After upgrading, I noticed a fairly significant temperature spike, and now, my PC idles at around ~57C (package temperature). The program I use (OpenHardwareMonitor) *does* support my CPU, so that isn't the problem. I've tried reapplying thermal paste, and even used nice silver paste the second time around, but that changed nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could cool my CPU better, and maybe what could be causing this? When I open games and start to play, the temp usually stabilizes around 65C, but this concerns me, as the CPU's TCase is 87.9C.

I have considered switching to liquid cooling, but I've heard that it doesn't make a massive difference. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could try? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank You,

~DT

Solution
I wouldn't worry about it. The CPU is still 20 degrees below max temp.

As far as the temp increase in general; You went from a 6 core/12 thread processor manufactured using 14nm lithography to a 16/32 processor manufactured using 22nm lithography. The temperature increase doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I wouldn't worry about it. The CPU is still 20 degrees below max temp.

As far as the temp increase in general; You went from a 6 core/12 thread processor manufactured using 14nm lithography to a 16/32 processor manufactured using 22nm lithography. The temperature increase doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS