[SOLVED] How to split bandwith between connected devices in VR-3038 router

Geeky_kr

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
Hi, i have a Comtrend VR-3038u router, we have 20M vdsl, when i play games and my roommate watches a movie or download something the ping goes way up, or when i download something i use the maximum internet speed (~=2.8 mbps) and he's left with nothing... so we decided to find a way to split those 20M equally between us, i don't like third party apps (netcut, selfishnet...) the harm they do seems more than the good.
so does anyone knows how to do that in a Comtrend VR-3038u router ?
knowing that my roommate uses only the wifi and i sometimes connect by RJ45 cable when gaming trying to minimize the ping.
Thank you in advance.

Solution
Put your comtrend modem in Bridged Mode, essentially using it as just a modem.

Buy a router with FQ_Codel or CAKE algorithm. These algorithms will automatically split bandwidth equally among each client. They do more than traditional QOS do on most routers, but the algorithms are very processor intensive. So you need more processing power the more bandwidth you need. However, 20mbps is not much so many lower spec routers should be able to handle that.

Ralston18

Titan
In the Comtrend router's Admin screens look for the QoS (Quality of Service) settings and configuration options.

However, I would not be too hopeful about those settings being able to actually share the bandwidth or otherwise resolve the problems.

Put your comtrend modem in Bridged Mode, essentially using it as just a modem.

Buy a router with FQ_Codel or CAKE algorithm. These algorithms will automatically split bandwidth equally among each client. They do more than traditional QOS do on most routers, but the algorithms are very processor intensive. So you need more processing power the more bandwidth you need. However, 20mbps is not much so many lower spec routers should be able to handle that.

Solution