How to start building Gaming PC's for other people?

ShindoSensei

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I die to make computers.

Building my PC was one of the best experiences in my life, and I would kill to do it again. I want to build PCs (preferable powerful gaming PC's) for other people. I have no idea where to start. I live in a small city with lots of console gamers, and I advertising online is hell.

Any advice on where to start?

Solution
With a good rig, let your friends see and try on your PC, basically start low, tell them if they get the parts, you'll put it together for $20-25, once you get a couple done can then raise the price, and if any good let them know if they know of anyone having PC problems that you like working on PCs, if you do good work, they will spread the word - can also go to apartment complexs, places like that - many have newsletters and you can advertise cheap or even for free

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With a good rig, let your friends see and try on your PC, basically start low, tell them if they get the parts, you'll put it together for $20-25, once you get a couple done can then raise the price, and if any good let them know if they know of anyone having PC problems that you like working on PCs, if you do good work, they will spread the word - can also go to apartment complexs, places like that - many have newsletters and you can advertise cheap or even for free

Solution

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Put up notices in the local community. Charge per hour or a fixed rate. Include spec advice and windows install.

Or teach people how to build a gaming machine, if you build it with them people actually might be willing to pay for the experience.

Do not support the computer for free after it has finished. Or you will never make any money.

Also set up a separate email for this.

I post on Craigslist, and I have a set fee of $150 for any computer plus parts. I have built three so far and haven't been trying very hard. I will talk to whoever I'm building it for and give them a really customized computer that will be perfect for their needs, so I feel the $150 is fair. It is cheaper to buy parts and build it for $150 than to buy one from the store anyway.

I would start by building more than one PC. Sounds like your excited, but one build doesn't make a pro. And there is responsibility that comes with taking other peoples money and providing a product in return. I think you need more experience.