[SOLVED] How to stop Antimalware service executable taking over 35% constantly of my RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
No matter what I am doing my task manager is saying Antimalware service executable is taking a ton of my memory. I have tried online solutions and none of them worked. Like trying a new virus protecter and add exclusions. Is their anything else I can do? My games like apex, even at the lowest settings are running slow.

PC:
MSI 1070 TI
8 GB RAM (I forget type. DDR4 3600 something I think)
ASUS AMD X470 Pro
Ryzen 1500x

Solution
One fix i found was reschedule the scan for another time, that might stop it running. Since its a protected file its sort of difficult to stop it running.

I would try Bitdefender Free as its always in top 2 ranked AV - https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html

I use the total security version and it leaves me alone to do my thing. Won't run a scan unless you ask it too.
No matter what I am doing my task manager is saying Antimalware service executable is taking a ton of my memory. I have tried online solutions and none of them worked. Like trying a new virus protecter and add exclusions. Is their anything else I can do? My games like apex, even at the lowest settings are running slow.

PC:
MSI 1070 TI
8 GB RAM (I forget type. DDR4 3600 something I think)
ASUS AMD X470 Pro
Ryzen 1500x
What software is it?

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
That would be part of WIndows Defender. Have you let it run a scan?

So what other AV did you try? Some like Bitdefender replace Defenders malware scan process. I am not sure if Malwarebytes does or not.
im pretty sure the problem is it is running a full scan that it isnt completeing. I forced a quick scan from windows defender. it finished but nothing came up. and i tried norton i think or something and it didnt work. any free ones i can try?

Last edited:
Norton Security Suite works just fine for me on my laptop, and Defender works fine on my desktops. The last I've heard AVG has a free antivirus program. My laptop has an I5 CPU using Norton and it usually idles at under 10%, and my desktops with Defender are similar. If Norton didn't work on your system, that makes me wonder if maybe there's something wrong with your Windows system. You might want to open an administrator command prompt and issue these two commands:
SFC /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Colif

Win 11 Master
One fix i found was reschedule the scan for another time, that might stop it running. Since its a protected file its sort of difficult to stop it running.

I would try Bitdefender Free as its always in top 2 ranked AV - https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html

I use the total security version and it leaves me alone to do my thing. Won't run a scan unless you ask it too.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.