Question How to stop constant crashes/BSOD

Jan 3, 2020
PC Specs
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3600 Mhx, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processors
Motherboard - AsRock B450 Gaming K4
RAM - GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
BiOS version/date - American Megatrends Inc P3.10 3/7/2019
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PSU - RMx Series™ RM650x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Hi there!
I'm posting here because I have no idea where else to go or what else to do. I apologize for the length of this post, but I figured the more detailed I can be, the better answers and suggestions any of you might have.

I recently built a gaming PC in July 2019. The PC worked fine until we had a power outage that caused the PC to turn off abruptly. Thankfully the PC was plugged into a surge protector. However, since then, my PC has been consistently crashing with a myriad of BSOD and accompanying stop codes. The crashes occur sporadically - either every 15-20 minutes or with hours/days between them. They also tend to happen no matter what the PC is doing - gaming, idling, watching Netflix/Hulu - it doesn't seem to matter.

The most common ones that I see are:
Critical Process Died
Unknown Store Exception
System Service Exception
Memory Management (Although I've only seen this error once)

Here is a list of everything that I've attempted to troubleshoot the issue. I must apologize, as I am an extreme novice when it comes to this, but I just want to get this PC working again.

1. Updated all drivers and windows
  2. Completed several full scans of anti-virus software (Windows Defender)
  3. Run system file checker. All scans have come back clean
  4. Run the DISM Tool. Found no issues here either
  5. Run chkdsk. This came back clean, although it took almost 24 full hours to complete. I'm not sure if that's normal
  6. Run memtest86. In total, I've run 40 passes through both partitions, and suffered 0 errors or fails

After reading through many threads of people having similar issues; looking for something that might work for myself, I see that I should also update my BiOS. I have not done that yet - as I'm scared to. Some sites mention that updating your BiOS is likely never necessary;and in fact on the site for my motherboard's BiOS - it suggests not to update it if things are running normally. If you all think I should go ahead and do this, I will - I just don't want to brick my PC. And I'm not sure that its BiOS related, since the issues have been ongoing since about a month after I built my PC.

The one thing that has worked in the past is running memtest86. After my first 8 passes (on each partition), the crashes stopped for about 3 months. I traveled home for the holidays with my PC and they promptly started again. Each subsequent run has seemed to put a stop to the crashes for days, at most.

After the crashes first began, I took the PC to a MicroCenter repair shop. They charged me $40, but told me they didn't come across any issues while the PC was there. The crashes did stop for a few weeks once I got the PC back home,however.

One last thing that I think is worth mentioning: When I get the BSOD and accompanying stop code, my PC does attempt to reboot. However, upon attempting the reboot - it tells me to insert a boot drive. By turning off the PC and turning it back on, the OS boots back up normally.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this. I genuinely appreciate any and all suggestions to help resolve this.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
PC Specs
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3600 Mhx, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processors
Motherboard - AsRock B450 Gaming K4
RAM - GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
BiOS version/date - American Megatrends Inc P3.10 3/7/2019
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PSU - RMx Series™ RM650x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Hi there!
I'm posting here because I have no idea where else to go or what else to do. I apologize for the length of this post, but I figured the more detailed I can be, the better answers and suggestions any of you might have.

I recently built a gaming PC in July 2019. The PC worked fine until we had a power outage that caused the PC to turn off abruptly. Thankfully the PC was plugged into a surge protector. However, since then, my PC has been consistently crashing with a myriad of BSOD and accompanying stop codes. The crashes occur sporadically - either every 15-20 minutes or with hours/days between them. They also tend to happen no matter what the PC is doing - gaming, idling, watching Netflix/Hulu - it doesn't seem to matter.

The most common ones that I see are:
Critical Process Died
Unknown Store Exception
System Service Exception
Memory Management (Although I've only seen this error once)

Here is a list of everything that I've attempted to troubleshoot the issue. I must apologize, as I am an extreme novice when it comes to this, but I just want to get this PC working again.

1. Updated all drivers and windows
  2. Completed several full scans of anti-virus software (Windows Defender)
  3. Run system file checker. All scans have come back clean
  4. Run the DISM Tool. Found no issues here either
  5. Run chkdsk. This came back clean, although it took almost 24 full hours to complete. I'm not sure if that's normal
  6. Run memtest86. In total, I've run 40 passes through both partitions, and suffered 0 errors or fails
After reading through many threads of people having similar issues; looking for something that might work for myself, I see that I should also update my BiOS. I have not done that yet - as I'm scared to. Some sites mention that updating your BiOS is likely never necessary;and in fact on the site for my motherboard's BiOS - it suggests not to update it if things are running normally. If you all think I should go ahead and do this, I will - I just don't want to brick my PC. And I'm not sure that its BiOS related, since the issues have been ongoing since about a month after I built my PC.

The one thing that has worked in the past is running memtest86. After my first 8 passes (on each partition), the crashes stopped for about 3 months. I traveled home for the holidays with my PC and they promptly started again. Each subsequent run has seemed to put a stop to the crashes for days, at most.

After the crashes first began, I took the PC to a MicroCenter repair shop. They charged me $40, but told me they didn't come across any issues while the PC was there. The crashes did stop for a few weeks once I got the PC back home,however.

One last thing that I think is worth mentioning: When I get the BSOD and accompanying stop code, my PC does attempt to reboot. However, upon attempting the reboot - it tells me to insert a boot drive. By turning off the PC and turning it back on, the OS boots back up normally.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this. I genuinely appreciate any and all suggestions to help resolve this.

Well, since your PC is giving you hell, you might as well try and update the bios. Whoever told you that updating the bios is not necessary either don't even understand its purpose and just how important the bios really is, or they do and they just enjoy seeing you suffer or something. As an entry level I.T guy myself, who with my old PC went through the same things you went through largely because of an outdated bios, I find such such advice quite insulting.

Your bios is what boots up your computer, boots up your operating system, and tells the operating system how to behave in relation to all the components connected to your motherboard, i.e, how its supposed to control the flow of data. Now you can imagine the turmoil an outdated bios would cause once you understand why the manufactures of your motherboard put it there to start with. Just be careful when updating it. Make sure there is nothing that would cut out your power while updating, like high winds or something, because then you just might brick your PC.

Jan 3, 2020
Well, since your PC is giving you hell, you might as well try and update the bios. Whoever told you that updating the bios is not necessary either don't even understand its purpose and just how important the bios really is, or they do and they just enjoy seeing you suffer or something. As an entry level I.T guy myself, who with my old PC went through the same things you went through largely because of an outdated bios, I find such such advice quite insulting.

Your bios is what boots up your computer, boots up your operating system, and tells the operating system how to behave in relation to all the components connected to your motherboard, i.e, how its supposed to control the flow of data. Now you can imagine the turmoil an outdated bios would cause once you understand why the manufactures of your motherboard put it there to start with. Just be careful when updating it. Make sure there is nothing that would cut out your power while updating, like high winds or something, because then you just might brick your PC.

Alright I'll try that and report back. I swear if the answer is this simple I might cry. Thanks for the input.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Alright I'll try that and report back. I swear if the answer is this simple I might cry. Thanks for the input.

🙂 No problem, lets hope it works. I wouldn't be surprised if the clowns that told you the bios doesn't need to remain current works for Hewlett Packard, who are selling computers without providing updates for the bios and getting away with it, legally. 😒

Jan 3, 2020
🙂 No problem, lets hope it works. I wouldn't be surprised if the clowns that told you the bios doesn't need to remain current works for Hewlett Packard, who are selling computers without providing updates for the bios and getting away with it, legally. 😒

Alright...I updated my BiOS and was crash-free for about 2.5 hours, and experienced another Critical Process Died. I thought I was in the clear...as recently crashes have been about 15-20 minutes apart. Guess that wasn't the issue.

Any other ideas?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Alright...I updated my BiOS and was crash-free for about 2.5 hours, and experienced another Critical Process Died. I thought I was in the clear...as recently crashes have been about 15-20 minutes apart. Guess that wasn't the issue.

Any other ideas?

Ok, you're going to have to open up the memory dump file that was reported at the time your computer crashed and post it here, before going any further.