Question How to stop devices from connecting to my TV while I'm using it?

BasicReference

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
First off, I have a Vizio TV with built in chromecast. I love how it works, but there's just one problem. I don't seem to be able to stop OTHER people from connecting to my TV while I'm watching it. Most recently I was watching Deadpool 2 when the movie just stopped and YouTube came up and started playing a video. Well, downstairs my dad answered his phone and either his phone automatically casted to my TV or he accidentally hit the cast button instead. In any case this is extremely annoying. I understand WHY it is how it is, being visible over a home wifi network would give all devices on the network access to it. But I don't understand WHY it would allow instant connections without even prompting me or warning me. I don't know if there is a way to set up a password for casting or through the TV somehow disallow any devices other than mine to connect to it period (the TV is in my bedroom, no one else uses it unless a situation like this happens). From what I've seen either no one has this issue or the answer is universally no, you just have to deal with the random accidental connection. The only questions I could find similar to this are from 2015 where I saw a google rep say that at this time it was not possible to do that, but I'd figure by now surely they'd have a fix.

TL;DR Is there a way to stop devices from connecting to my Chromecast built-in TV while I'm using it or at all?

LOL. I have no idea but sounds like vendors are still on version 1.0 of things and have not build "doors." Meanwhile, if u don't want to be bothered, u may have to manually disable the feature before starting your movie.

BasicReference

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I'm not sure that there is even a way to disable the feature without turning off the Wifi to the TV. Once you connect it to the Wifi it becomes visible and usable by any device on the network. As far as I know there is no way to turn off the Casting feature by itself on the TV. And if I were to turn Wifi off on the TV I wouldn't be able to use it, since I don't have a hard-line Cable TV (Satellite really) connection in my room.

hang-the-9

Titan
The fix is actually simple, explain to the people that are hitting things accidentally what not to hit. User education is needed at times when there are no forced ways to do something.

To disable casting to the TV you need to go through the TV options if there is such an option or turn off WiFi to the TV and use a cable connection to a computer on it.