How to stop disk activity

thehultz

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I'm trying to format my D: HDD so I can install a new image of Windows 7 onto it, but whenever I do it tells me that the drive is currently being used and asks me if I wish to continue with the format, I choose yes, of course. And after a couple seconds it says that it has failed to format, I have gone through and canceled all the process I have tried to manually delete everything in the HDD, to no prevail, and I have restarted numerous times. How can I just halt all processes and erase all the data?

Solution
you can't install windows on one machine and than put that drive into another machine. Windows will install all the drivers, etc for the system it's currently running and more than likely blue screen as soon as hook up the drive up to your laptop.

that's providing it boots since it make the primary boot sector point to like disk(1)-partition(0) which would be the 2nd disc in your PC, but then in the laptop it will actually be disk(0) since it's the only drive and won't boot.

But a 8gb flash drive for like 9$.

And since you're trying to install an ISO for another computer, am I to assume this is a pirated windows?

thehultz

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

I'm installing it to put into my laptop, it's a Mini-ATX hard drive, anyway it's just an .iso and I do not have a flash drive or a cd to make it boot that image from.

you can't install windows on one machine and than put that drive into another machine. Windows will install all the drivers, etc for the system it's currently running and more than likely blue screen as soon as hook up the drive up to your laptop.

that's providing it boots since it make the primary boot sector point to like disk(1)-partition(0) which would be the 2nd disc in your PC, but then in the laptop it will actually be disk(0) since it's the only drive and won't boot.

But a 8gb flash drive for like 9$.

And since you're trying to install an ISO for another computer, am I to assume this is a pirated windows?

Solution