How to stop fluctuating frame rates?

CheekBoys

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
Is there a way to control frame rates so they are not fluctuating from 30-60 constantly? Or is there a way to lock the frame rate to 35 without screen tearing? I tried using evga precision x but there is a lot of screen tearing even with v sync on.

Frame rates go up and down depending on what's going on in the scene. If you want it locked at 60 or 120 or whatever vsync your monitor is, you need a really good gpu/cpu. With vsyncing, it drops any frames over 60, but if one second dips belows 60, it can have tearing. I think NVidia has adaptive vsync that is supposed to make up for that.

If you get 30-60 FPS in all games, and do not want the fluctuations or tearing:
1) Turn on V-sync
2a) Set a FPS limiter to 30. It may cause lag, but at the settings you have, that is all you can do.
2b) Turn down graphical settings until it no longer fluctuates.
2c) If you still cannot reach your goal, a hardware upgrade may be needed.

In a few months or so, G-sync may be available with the right monitor that will allow for a much better method to remove tearing.

CheekBoys

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013

Even if the game runs at 60 fps consistantly, if I turn the frame limiter to 30fps with v-sync on it still has screen tearing.

If you get tearing, v-sync is not functioning.

Either the game is not allowing it, or you do not have something set properly. What program are you using to limit FPS or turn on Vsync?

CheekBoys

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013

I have mostly tried Assassin's Creed 4 and Batman: Arkham Asylum. I am thinking since the refresh rate is still 60 hz but it is only showing 35 frames per second maybe that is the reason for the tearing.

That is not a reason for tearing. Go to your Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings, and make sure you are not forcing v-sync off, or adaptive v-sync on.

CheekBoys

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013

I have it forced on. The screen tearing isn't as noticable as normal but there is tons of small tears all around the screen.

Which V-sync option do you have selected? (normal v-sync, adaptive v-sync, or adaptive v-sync (half refresh))?

If V-sync made a noticeable difference, but you are now seeing "small tears" around the screen, perhaps this isn't tearing at all.

What are "small tears". A tear will always be a single line across the screen. It may be on one single horizontal line, or broken into two lines, but either way, it is a single line that spans the whole screen, without exception.

What are you seeing with these "small tears"? When do these tears occur?

CheekBoys

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013

I just have "force on" enabled. I have a video that is processing I will post it when it is done.

What are you doing when it happens?

Does it happen when you are not moving the camera view?

Do you see more than one on the screen at once?

I don't know why v-sync isn't working for you, but that does sound like normal tearing. V-sync is not functioning by your description.

You can try to turn off the forced v-sync option from in the game panel and use the in game v-sync option by itself.

You may try to reinstall the latest drivers.

Did you say tearing does not occur without the FPS limiter on? Perhaps the limiter you are using is interfering. See if you can find another FPS limiter.

Do you have multiple monitors? In some situations, multiple monitors messes with v-sync.

Btw, what is your monitor?

I tested out the scenario you gave, and it worked fine for me. It was very choppy, but there was no tearing. I used EVGA Precision X instead of MSI Afterburner (they are both built from rivatuner). I could not find the FPS limiter in MSI afterburner, except for video capture.

I did occur to me that if you have a slow monitor, the refreshes are quite slow to update. Slow enough that when spinning fast, you can see it sort of tear due to how long it takes for your monitor to update the image.

Did you say it was improved than without v-sync?

Back when I used a 60hz monitor (I use a 120hz monitor), spinning fast did result in seeing odd artifacts, possibly tearing like.

You may also try EVGA Precision X. I've heard the MSI Afterburner option is only there for AMD. I can't find the option with an Nvidia card.

Anyways, great to see it is fixed. Apparently that MSI Afterburner option does not work well with Nvidia.

You may also want to play around with different FPS limits. You may find 30 FPS is smoother than 35.

CheekBoys

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
I have tried MSI Afterburner and Precision x before with the same tearing as anything else.