Question How to stop games from maxing out my GPU?

Nathan Brewer

Prominent
Dec 25, 2022
Every game I play, including smaller games like Before Your Eyes completely max out my GPU, and I know v-sync helps, but obviously for most games id rather it not be on as it can cause a delay is mouse movements and such. Even with v-sync on, Before Your Eyes still puts my GPU at 68%-70%. Any fixes to this? I'd like to be able to stream games and with this issue, even with v-sync on, its insanely hard to get games to consistently go at 60fps in OBS despite the game looking smooth. I have a GTX 1660 and a i7 3770k with 16gb of DDR4 RAM. Older stuff but I've not had this issue with the same hardware in the past.

Nathan Brewer

Prominent
Dec 25, 2022
Are you using NVENC in OBS to encode the video? If you're using x264, that puts the encoding work on the CPU, which is going to negatively impact gaming performance especially on a processor that old.
How would I check that? Anyways I doubt that's the issue as even with OBS closed, games still max out my GPU, but seeing as changing what you want me to change could help, I wouldn't pass it down haha.

CPU 14%
RAM 36% (5.8/15.9)
SSD (2%)
GPU 99% (56 C)
Assuming you're not running into a performance issue with the CPU due to a single thread in the game, then you're going to have to lower the graphic quality settings.

How would I check that? Anyways I doubt that's the issue as even with OBS closed, games still max out my GPU, but seeing as changing what you want me to change could help, I wouldn't pass it down haha.
https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues

It's a few questions down

Nathan Brewer

Prominent
Dec 25, 2022
Assuming you're not running into a performance issue with the CPU due to a single thread in the game, then you're going to have to lower the graphic quality settings.

https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues

It's a few questions down
But why do I have to lower it all the sudden? I've played this game before on max settings and it never maxed out, all the sudden now it's maxing out with most games. Like I can run Rainbow 6 Siege at high settings with no performance hits and my GPU doesn't even reach 25%.

But why do I have to lower it all the sudden? I've played this game before on max settings and it never maxed out, all the sudden now it's maxing out with most games. Like I can run Rainbow 6 Siege at high settings with no performance hits and my GPU doesn't even reach 25%.
"All of a sudden" sounds like something updated, be it the drivers, the game, or Windows, at some point in time.